Watermelons

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My grandfather used to grow yellow watermelons. They were very good once you got past the fact that they weren't red. I like the seeded watermelons better than the seedless - seems the flavor is better. We eat a good bit of watermelon, but I buy it in quarters since I've never had much luck purchasing a good one whole.

Watermelon and peaches are my two favorite fruits..I've been buying the small watermelons that are all heart..No seeds and each one is as sweet as sugar, expensive little fellows though. Our little Ethan can hold his own with anybody when it comes to watermelon, I do believe that child can eat a half all by himself:LOL: Now this morning I picked our one and only watermelon from the garden..It came up from last years left behind seeds and it is beautiful and sweet..But the small heart watermelons are heaven..
kadesma:)

Yakuta has the right idea, for sure. Here in Mexico, "agua fresca" is a popular drink made with all kinds of fruit and sold by street vendors. Watermelon is my favorite. First, I have to take the seeds out, because I can't find seedless watermelons here in Mexico. Then chunk it up and put it in the blender with enough water to make it blend easily. You eventually want about three parts fruit to one part water. I make about three blender jars full and add about half cup to a cup of sugar and a little lime juice. Then add some sliced limes to a big pitcher - it is so pretty! Thirst-quenching, too. This is also good made with fresh pineapple or mangos.

Since there are just the 2 of us the "Personal size" ones have been a blessing! They seem expensive per lb but when I consider the waste I have if I buy a huge one it evens out. I just heard about putting salt on watermelon - never thought of that before - cantalope but not watermelon.

A great "sauce" for any fruit or melon = powdered sugar + enough drops of red wine vinegar to make it into a sauce. Start with 1 C sugar and about 1T sugar. It's delicious!

My Dad had a private space in the back of his garage with a fridge usually filled with salami, peperoni and wine and his Beer Meister. He was always experimenting with pickling one thing or another. I didn't realize he was "Pickeling" whole watermelons with vodka until my 5 yr old son got ahold of one and was really tipsy before we realized it! This being nearly 30 years ago we all laughed instead of going ballistic.

Only draw-back to the personal watermelons is there is little or no rind and I want to try to pickle watermelon rind!

Hi Linda,
they are perfect when it's just me and my grandson Ethan, when the rest of the family is here I get two or three of them and there is never any left.
I know what you mean about the thin rind, not enough there to pickle, but they sure are a lot easier to handle when you cut them...I always salt my melons and I've even tried a little pepper on them..I like both but salt is my favorite, it really brings UP the flavor.

kadesma:)

Here is one way to save yourself from a watermelon mess:

Take a baking pan (the rectangular shape sizes) and put a cutting board on the baking pan before cutting the watermelon. The juice that flows out from a watermelon when it is being cut will be trapped within the baking pan because of its borders. Once the watermelon is cut up into pieces, the juice in the baking pan can be thrown out, or you put into a cup and drink it depending how the baking pan looks like :unsure:

Watermelon is best eaten when it is at room temperature. The level of antioxidant in the watermelon is at the highest during a room temperature and lowest when it is store in a fridge.

My memory of watermelon pickles is that the texture is extraordinary - I remember bread and butter ones but some people may do dill as well. Anybody have a recipe>:cool:

2 in Or

I once served watermelon granita as a light refreshing elegant dessert to a very appreciative group. It's basically blendered watermelon with a few strawberries, some lemon juice and sugar. Place in freezer in a baking pan for a couple hours then break up with a fork. Repeat this 2 or 3 times in 2 hour intervals until flaky crushed consistency. Serve in martini glasses or clear glass bowls, garnish with chopped up assorted berries in syrup, and a mint leaf. Can be made 2 days ahead. Some of my guests refused to leave without my recipe...

we've been eating, or rather sucking down a seedless watermelon just about every week this summer since they've shown up in the markets this year.

i've heard that this year has been a bumper crop of high quality melons in the u.s. because of the weather. as far as i'm concerned, it's true. i can't remember enjoying eating watermelon this much as sweet as it's been, but also for teaching my boy to spit seeds.

i bought a seeded one just for that reason. :)

otherwise, the seedless are fantastic, imo.

here's some info from a local green grocer/tv guy: http://www.producepete.com/shows/seedlesswatermelons.html

If I go to the market I can find red watermelon, bright-red watermelon and, occasionally, yellow watermelon. Ive never seen a seedless one, because removing the seeds is not really a problem.
We add a little sugar and blend the watermelon fruit to make refreshing "Batido de Patilla" - just the right thing for a hot day.
A few months ago I copied a recipe from somewhere or other - a watermelon salad with feta cheese and arugula.nice, tasty, subtle, but a bit fussy!

I actually enjoy eating the seeds of the watermelon along with the fruit!

I have always wondered tho, if the seeds make a difference in the amount of calories in watermelon. They surely must, after all, all seeds are high in fat and calorie dense. Yet watermelon is always known as a low calorie food due to its high water content.

Does anyone have any insight?

Thankyou :)

My mother grows Sugar Baby watermelons, and she had a LOT this year, so we have been blessed with an abundance. I started making watermelon martinis with the juice and mojitos with the frozen pureed fruit! YUM YUM! The neighborhood BBQ turned out to be quite a kick that night!

I have been eating watermelon almost every day since I arrived in Michigan. There is a supermarket here that has the sweetest, reddest and most delicious seedless watermelon I've ever tasted. I have been doing well on a behavior modificatioin diet (very similar to the South Beach Diet) and now I find out that watermellon is forbidden because of the high sugar content. OHMYGOD, I can''t even imagine that I will have to go the rest of the summer without it.

I have taken some of the suggestions here to put the watermelon in a blender and turn it into a drink. I blend it up real well and add some water and a little sugar. Then I either drink it like that or I pour a little seltzer in. Sometimes I add a bit of vodka too :)

Watermelon juice with ginger or mint is a good non-alcoholic drink too. The ginger packs a real punch :)

seedless because I don't like eating the seeds... so i always have to eat as many seeds as i can, and then spit them out, then eat the whole thing.

Back
Top Bottom