"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fruit & Nuts
Old 08-18-2006, 04:07 AM   #31
Head Chef
I once served watermelon granita as a light refreshing elegant dessert to a very appreciative group. It's basically blendered watermelon with a few strawberries, some lemon juice and sugar. Place in freezer in a baking pan for a couple hours then break up with a fork. Repeat this 2 or 3 times in 2 hour intervals until flaky crushed consistency. Serve in martini glasses or clear glass bowls, garnish with chopped up assorted berries in syrup, and a mint leaf. Can be made 2 days ahead. Some of my guests refused to leave without my recipe...

'Never eat more than you can lift.' - Miss Piggy
Chopstix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 05:02 AM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire
we've been eating, or rather sucking down a seedless watermelon just about every week this summer since they've shown up in the markets this year.

i've heard that this year has been a bumper crop of high quality melons in the u.s. because of the weather. as far as i'm concerned, it's true. i can't remember enjoying eating watermelon this much as sweet as it's been, but also for teaching my boy to spit seeds.

i bought a seeded one just for that reason.

otherwise, the seedless are fantastic, imo.

here's some info from a local green grocer/tv guy: http://www.producepete.com/shows/see...termelons.html

in nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti.
beidh ar la linn.
wisdom is often in short supply within ones' ego.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 08:51 PM   #33
Sous Chef
If I go to the market I can find red watermelon, bright-red watermelon and, occasionally, yellow watermelon. Ive never seen a seedless one, because removing the seeds is not really a problem.
We add a little sugar and blend the watermelon fruit to make refreshing "Batido de Patilla" - just the right thing for a hot day.
A few months ago I copied a recipe from somewhere or other - a watermelon salad with feta cheese and arugula.nice, tasty, subtle, but a bit fussy!
cliveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 04:12 AM   #34
Assistant Cook
I actually enjoy eating the seeds of the watermelon along with the fruit!

I have always wondered tho, if the seeds make a difference in the amount of calories in watermelon. They surely must, after all, all seeds are high in fat and calorie dense. Yet watermelon is always known as a low calorie food due to its high water content.

Does anyone have any insight?

Thankyou :)
BabyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 09:49 AM   #35
Cooking Links Contest Winner
Send a message via Yahoo to shannon in KS
My mother grows Sugar Baby watermelons, and she had a LOT this year, so we have been blessed with an abundance. I started making watermelon martinis with the juice and mojitos with the frozen pureed fruit! YUM YUM! The neighborhood BBQ turned out to be quite a kick that night!
~ Shannon

shannon in KS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 10:06 AM   #36
Senior Cook
I have been eating watermelon almost every day since I arrived in Michigan. There is a supermarket here that has the sweetest, reddest and most delicious seedless watermelon I've ever tasted. I have been doing well on a behavior modificatioin diet (very similar to the South Beach Diet) and now I find out that watermellon is forbidden because of the high sugar content. OHMYGOD, I can''t even imagine that I will have to go the rest of the summer without it.
VegasDramaQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 10:59 AM   #37
Chief Eating Officer
I have taken some of the suggestions here to put the watermelon in a blender and turn it into a drink. I blend it up real well and add some water and a little sugar. Then I either drink it like that or I pour a little seltzer in. Sometimes I add a bit of vodka too
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 12:05 PM   #38
Head Chef
Watermelon juice with ginger or mint is a good non-alcoholic drink too. The ginger packs a real punch :)
lulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 02:59 PM   #39
Head Chef
Send a message via AIM to goboenomo Send a message via MSN to goboenomo Send a message via Yahoo to goboenomo
seedless because I don't like eating the seeds... so i always have to eat as many seeds as i can, and then spit them out, then eat the whole thing.

Zzyxk - Short baked goods slideshow! Homemade
Please check it out.
goboenomo is offline   Reply With Quote