"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fruit & Nuts

Old 08-07-2006, 09:42 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Watermelons

We are eating lot of watermelons due to the heat. Do you prefer seedless or seeds? I am buying the ones w/seeds as I think they are not as dry as the seedles. Maybe my own imagination. Would like your opinion. Also does the floor in the kitchen have to be cleaned after eating watermelon? Seems mine is always sticky from juice. Thanks for your interest.

Old 08-07-2006, 10:00 AM   #2
Chief Eating Officer

I have not noticed a difference between seeds and seedless personally, but I have never paid much attention. I will have to see next time I get some.

We usually only eat it outside because it is so messy.I had to hose the baby off last time we did that, seriously. We put her in her baby pool and turned the hose on her. She loved it

Old 08-07-2006, 10:14 AM   #3
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to RDG
I didn't know there was a variety Without seeds:
In every way....with or without seeds, water melon is wonderful. And if you inject some whisky inside, it's better.....
Old 08-07-2006, 10:23 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDG
I didn't know there was a variety Without seeds:
In every way....with or without seeds, water melon is wonderful. And if you inject some whisky inside, it's better.....
I have indeed seen the seedless version in some supermarkets around Rome, but they cost more and we never really bothered with them...

Watermelons are so good, even those pesky numerous seeds would never faze us, we have just taken it granted digging out or spitting out seeds are simply a part of the watermelon eating process... and yes they are even better eaten outside, as GB pointed out, then you don't have to worry about the mess you make, you can even have some seed spitting contest!!
Old 08-07-2006, 10:46 AM   #5
Head Chef

I like to use seedless ones to make watermelon juice. I cut the watermelon into small chunks. I add them to the blender and blend it. It's a great solution if the watermelon is not sweet as you can add a little sugar to it while blending.

Pour it into large pitchers and hit it with some lemon juice and then just serve it in large glasses. It goes well with a BBQ and since we are a strict no-alcohol family it works as a great option for our guests. I have yet to have someone not enjoy this drink.
Old 08-07-2006, 11:18 AM   #6
Chief Eating Officer

I would be another who would not not enjoy it Yakuta That sounds simple and so delicious!
Old 08-07-2006, 11:21 AM   #7
Everymom

You know, now that I think of it, they don't seem to sell the seeded variety around here anymore. I have only seen the seedless for some time. I don't notice a difference in the flavour or juiciness. I DO notice that I won't buy one unless they are 33cents a lb or less!
Old 08-07-2006, 11:28 AM   #8
Executive Chef

I rarely see a watermelon with seeds either. At the farmer's mkt, I can get seedless for $3 but at the grocery store they vary from $4-$7.

It doesn't matter how much they cost, the season for the best of the best is so short that I'll pay it.
Old 08-07-2006, 12:57 PM   #9
Executive Chef

watermelon

Yakuta, I knew you would have something different and delicious. Just sounds so good. Next time I get one not too sweet know what to do. Wonder why I couldn't think of that.

GB that sounds like so much fun. Keep it up so she doesn't forget. You really enjoy her don't you? Got to have another one to enjoy more. They grow too fast. Just like the wat ermelon here and gone. I just love summer for the fruit it offers.

I feel so refreshed after I had melon that was in fridge for while. Better than anything. Always worth the clean up afterwards and usually me that does it alone. Seeds and all.

Wonder why people put salt on it? I think ruins it and not really healthy for you.
Old 08-07-2006, 12:59 PM   #10
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by In the Kitchen
You really enjoy her don't you?
Does it show that much

Tags
None