Watermelons

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

In the Kitchen

Executive Chef
We are eating lot of watermelons due to the heat. Do you prefer seedless or seeds? I am buying the ones w/seeds as I think they are not as dry as the seedles. Maybe my own imagination. Would like your opinion. Also does the floor in the kitchen have to be cleaned after eating watermelon? Seems mine is always sticky from juice. Thanks for your interest.

I have not noticed a difference between seeds and seedless personally, but I have never paid much attention. I will have to see next time I get some.

We usually only eat it outside because it is so messy.I had to hose the baby off last time we did that, seriously. We put her in her baby pool and turned the hose on her. She loved it :)

I didn't know there was a variety Without seeds:
In every way....with or without seeds, water melon is wonderful. And if you inject some whisky inside, it's better.....:cool:

RDG said:
I didn't know there was a variety Without seeds:
In every way....with or without seeds, water melon is wonderful. And if you inject some whisky inside, it's better.....:cool:

I have indeed seen the seedless version in some supermarkets around Rome, but they cost more and we never really bothered with them...

Watermelons are so good, even those pesky numerous seeds would never faze us, we have just taken it granted digging out or spitting out seeds are simply a part of the watermelon eating process... and yes they are even better eaten outside, as GB pointed out, then you don't have to worry about the mess you make, you can even have some seed spitting contest!!:LOL:

I like to use seedless ones to make watermelon juice. I cut the watermelon into small chunks. I add them to the blender and blend it. It's a great solution if the watermelon is not sweet as you can add a little sugar to it while blending.

Pour it into large pitchers and hit it with some lemon juice and then just serve it in large glasses. It goes well with a BBQ and since we are a strict no-alcohol family it works as a great option for our guests. I have yet to have someone not enjoy this drink.

I would be another who would not not enjoy it Yakuta :) That sounds simple and so delicious!

You know, now that I think of it, they don't seem to sell the seeded variety around here anymore. I have only seen the seedless for some time. I don't notice a difference in the flavour or juiciness. I DO notice that I won't buy one unless they are 33cents a lb or less!

I rarely see a watermelon with seeds either. At the farmer's mkt, I can get seedless for $3 but at the grocery store they vary from $4-$7.

It doesn't matter how much they cost, the season for the best of the best is so short that I'll pay it.:)

watermelon

Yakuta, I knew you would have something different and delicious. Just sounds so good. Next time I get one not too sweet know what to do. Wonder why I couldn't think of that.

GB that sounds like so much fun. Keep it up so she doesn't forget. You really enjoy her don't you? Got to have another one to enjoy more. They grow too fast. Just like the wat ermelon here and gone. I just love summer for the fruit it offers.

I feel so refreshed after I had melon that was in fridge for while. Better than anything. Always worth the clean up afterwards and usually me that does it alone. Seeds and all.

Wonder why people put salt on it? I think ruins it and not really healthy for you.

Yakuta said:
I like to use seedless ones to make watermelon juice. I cut the watermelon into small chunks. I add them to the blender and blend it. It's a great solution if the watermelon is not sweet as you can add a little sugar to it while blending.

Pour it into large pitchers and hit it with some lemon juice and then just serve it in large glasses. It goes well with a BBQ and since we are a strict no-alcohol family it works as a great option for our guests. I have yet to have someone not enjoy this drink.

I'll be doing this tonight, Yakuta! I just bought one and was so disappointed when I cut into it and it wasn't sweet at all.

Love watermellon! The taste of summer! I prefer seedless...they are smaller and easier to put in the fridge too. BTW watermellon is very nutricious...and is a red fruit...really good for you.

Absolutely!

Life is so beautiful when a young child involved. Or a puppy. Since my days are behind me, you make me remember the way I used to feel. Better than any holiday. Almost like July 4, never knowing what will be shot off next. Those days are for you and her mom. Have to tell her all about it when she gets children of her own. That is something to look forward to. Only enjoy each day that you share. You deserve it.

GB said:
II had to hose the baby off last time we did that, seriously. We put her in her baby pool and turned the hose on her. She loved it :)

We have a favorite family story about feeding very young daughter watermelon one fine summer day. She was so streaked with juice that the flies all gravitated to her. And yes, we hosed her off!

We accidentally got a yellow fleshed watermelon once. I didn't care for its flavour much. Anyone else tried one of those?

never heard of it, Alix. But when it's not a color you are used to there could be negative reactions.... blue mashed potatoes, for example.

I'd never seen one either, this was sort of a surprise. (Blue mashed potatoes would be a definite UGH! I'm not a big potato fan unless they are sliced fine and deep fried!!)

I've had seeded, seedless, red-, orange-, yellow-, and coral-fleshed watermelons. I'm not a big fan of any of them, unless they are "sugar sweet".

PeppA has been buying one watermelon a week lately. The kids love it. Of course, I'm cleaning seeds and dried watermelon juice off the table and floors. Such is life. I'll have to try to get some pictures of the little ones eating watermelon.

For You

GB: this was for you. Some might think I am crazy or in wrong place. Look how many others 'hose' off after they get through! mudbug even said something about flies landing on someone. Must have been pretty sweet.

Absolutely!
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is so beautiful when a young child involved. Or a puppy. Since my days are behind me, you make me remember the way I used to feel. Better than any holiday. Almost like July 4, never knowing what will be shot off next. Those days are for you and her mom. Have to tell her all about it when she gets children of her own. That is something to look forward to. Only enjoy each day that you share. You deserve it.

i read your comments and then responded. should have put 'quote' down there. Seems everyone has memories connected to watermelon. Could it be because it isn't around year round? I have seen trucks on side of road loaded w/watermelons. Wish I would know when they got there.

Cleaning up is just part of the fun of eating the watermelon. Now when I clean I will think of you AllenMI when I do it. Might make the time easier to take. Only thankful they do eat it. Relative of mine always prefers to get Dairy Queen instead. Don't know why the mother allows it . We all eat watermelon and she wants ice cream!

Back
Top Bottom