What do I do with a pomegranate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

suziquzie

Chef Extraordinaire
What does one do with 1 pomegranite? Just eat it? Never had one.

Cut it in half, beat the snot out of it with a wooden spoon, get a seed spit cup, and enjoy. I love pomegranates. They are so good but really hard to do much with other than just eat it, IMO.

According to the signs in Harris Teeter you can also soak them in water to get the seeds out, but beating the snot out of it is more fun and releases all sorts of aggression. ;)

Wouldn't beating it like that rupture the seeds?
Doesn't seem to and it's recommended by Bobby Flay (don't diss my Bobby ;)). I did it to see what would happen and they really just fell out in tact. If you are just going to eat them, it doesn't hurt them. They really just fell out of the skin with no problems that I found. And it kept my fingers from turning red when I did it that way.

Come to think of it, it was less invasive that way because they just fell off the membrane rather than being pulled and popped.

i think when i was a kid i used to pick them out and eat them lol
but when i was in India, they made FRESH juice out of them OH yeah!...don't think one could give the same OH yeah satisfaction though LOl

Just slice thru the skin, and pick the seeds. Then eat the seeds with a spoon. I love them, can eat tons of them. They are pretty lousy this year. Haven't had any really good ones. Should get better as season goes on.

take em out and decorate a cheesecake with them.

pomegranate juice is meant to be very refreshing.

When I was a kid, I used to love eating them but after a little while, my teeth would feel all fuzzy and my tongue would start to hurt. Guess I could have a mild allergy to them as I disliked the flavour of commercial pomegranate juice and the pomegranate molasses they serve in restaurants.

First and foremost know that the juice is BAD to stain!!!!! I cut mine in quarters and sqeeze into a strainer then stir the seeds around to release more juice. I don't get eating the seeds - I wish I did. When you drink the juice you can just tell it's so good for you!!!!!

:)First fill a big bowl of water cut the pomegranite in quarters put a each quarter under water in bowl and pull out seeds the skin will float to the top the seeds will float to the bottom and you will not stain your hands.Eat straight up or use in pork or poultry dishes or use as a garnish or in salads.Just taste them and you will know what to do

And if you have never had them before, you don't know that the pretty red seeds have kind of bitter hard bits in the middle. Don't crunch down on them too much, and swallow or spit, your choice.

Uh is this goofy thing worth all the effort or should the kids and I go outside for one last baseball game?

I love it, best for me is beating ;) those seeds over warm roast lamb that has been shredded on a plate and then scattered with some torn mint leaves. Its DH's favourite way to eat roast lamb and I've spouted off about it several times here before :blush:

How to eat a Pomegranate..

Cut off the crown(top with the stem) and discard.

Slice the rind part the way through and turn upside down in a bowl of cold water. Allow it to soak for 10 to 15 minutes. The seeds should come out easily and sink to the bottom of the bowl. Strain all the rind and membrane parts off the top and discard. You will be left with the wonderful seeds/juice sacks. Don't worry about the little hard seed, it's a good source of fiber.

Making juice from one would be tough since it would yield very little amount. Eating it is the best part. Actually we used to grab them by the handfuls and shove them into our mouths as kids ;). In India they were pretty abundant and they almost glistened like little gem stones. So pretty and delish.

We used it to garnish desserts like rice pudding. The crunchy texture went very well with the smooth texture of the rice pudding.

I don't have the patience for the water thing. I also don't like removing the seeds all at one time. I prefer them to just come out as I eat them, when I'm ready.

How much is that US?

At $4 I better eat it and not throw it away...

Should it be in the fridge?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom