What do I do with a pomegranate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Gorgeous Baked Salmon with White Sauce

If you serve your baked salmon (or any fish, for that matter) with a white sauce try adding some pomegranate and red caviar for a visually stunning "Ommph" to the sauce. Gorgeous! Transluscent and reflects the light of the candles. Add them at the very end.

We just split them, pick out the seeds and eat them or put them in fruit salads or garnish other dishes. They are great and beautiful - like jewelry.

I love it, best for me is beating ;) those seeds over warm roast lamb that has been shredded on a plate and then scattered with some torn mint leaves. Its DH's favourite way to eat roast lamb and I've spouted off about it several times here before :blush:

Lulu...your Kiwiness is showing. :LOL:

And I agree, pomegranate seeds banged a la Nigella over lamb is the best! I make a salad of warm slices of lamb, rocket leaves, mint leaves, goats fetta, the seeds and a dressing of pomegranate molasses and olive oil. We have that often over summer so anyone who gets their hands on a pomegranate, give it a try!!

Another use to all the other yummy sounding recipes. My aunt once made pomegranate liqueur that was to die for. Basically she soaked pomegranate in vodka for several weeks and strained it. Unique, visually appealing, and tasty.

Lulu...your Kiwiness is showing. :LOL:

And I agree, pomegranate seeds banged a la Nigella over lamb is the best! I make a salad of warm slices of lamb, rocket leaves, mint leaves, goats fetta, the seeds and a dressing of pomegranate molasses and olive oil. We have that often over summer so anyone who gets their hands on a pomegranate, give it a try!!

ROFL.......its the furry brown skin that gave me away, huh? ;)

Oh that salad sounds GORGEOUS. We'll be trying that!

And Yes, Nigella does it so well! I serve the salad she recoomend with it, chicory, avocado, mint, green pees....all pretty much the same. I couldn't be without all her books bar the new one!

GAH! HERESY! To **** with Bobby Flay, especially if the hack can't get a pom open without destroying it! HACK! HACK!!!!!!!

Slice off the blossom and then at that point cut a cross deep enough to get JUST into the seeds. Finishing the second cut, twist the knife sideways to pry it open. Eat the good seeds, avoid the rotten ones (there are always some). Seeds that aren't tight, red and shiny are rotten. Avoid them like the plague. Peel and pry thru the tissues inside to get at the seeds by any means necessary, but a knife is rarely necessary. You'll mostly just be using your thumbs.

The seed inside each fruit is TOTALLY EDIBLE and an intrinsic part of eating a pom. Also a good bit of nutrition and fiber in there. They won't hurt dental work either, they're too soft.

They're a fun and delicious toy to enjoy during a favorite TV show. Just don't wear ANYTHING you love while eating one, the juice stains horribly, and you WILL get squirted at some point.

*pomegranate eater since age 9*

While I'm at it, quick lesson on picking one in a supermarket, since I've had to give this out several times to passersby.

The first thing to know is that varieties differ a bit. The most prevalent are enormous and have a thick, tight, glossy, bright red skin. These are fine. But the real jewels, for flavor, are the ugly ducklings of the pom bin. A bit smaller, they have rougher, darker skin, and often show healed scarring on the skin. These cultivars are harder to find and probably less profitable for commercial growers, but they consistently win on flavor. For ripeness, darker skin always wins between any two poms of equal character.

The other two rules go for any pom. First, the bruise test. If you feel any distinct bruising in the skin, put it down and look for another. As long as seeds aren't ruptured, these things will last for months. As soon as they're bruised and seeds pop, they start rotting from the inside out and can just ruin your day.

Secondly, there's the tap test. Again, we're testing for loose juice, which means rot. With the pom held right to your ear, tap a few times firmly with your index finger on the pom. Rotate and repeat at several spots. You want a hollow, resonant thunk. That's your best bet that you've got a good pom.

I hope this helps someone else enjoy this wonderful, often holy fruit in its purest form. :)

EDIT: Slightly yellow fingertips are normal and will go away in 2-3 days. FYI.

Last edited:
Wow, LMJ, I've never been instructed on how to pick a "pom" out---thanks for your great advice... I will certainly use it............

You're very welcome! You should be able to get them VERY fresh where you are! I'm jealous! ;)

Last edited:
MMMMM sounds lovely! Maybe I could make a few of them, but then I'd probably burn myself after the stove was in........

No! The thing is still sitting on the counter intimidating me!!!
Now I have 2 pages of direction on what to do with it and my brain is on information over load. :ermm:
I had a dream last night that I cut it open and it was yellow inside and tasted like cotton candy. I'm dreaming about fruit!

Look if you have never tried it, just break it open following probably the most detailed of the posts and try it. If you don't like it in its natural state, you probably aren't going to want to cook it or juice it or ever see one again!!

Well I can't bang on it now... I'll wake the rest of the kids and then I'll actually have to go to "work" !!!!:LOL: I got up late today and lost my playtime!

GAH! HERESY! To **** with Bobby Flay, especially if the hack can't get a pom open without destroying it! HACK! HACK!!!!!!!

EDIT: Slightly yellow fingertips are normal and will go away in 2-3 days. FYI.
I've never had yellow or red fingertips from eating pomogranites in the close to 40 years I've been eating them AND, I had heard of the smack method before I saw Bobby Flay do it. I actually thought it was funny that he showed how to do in on television the way I had done it in the 4th grade. A man that owns that many restaurants and has more than a couple television shows is far from a HACK!

I've never had yellow or red fingertips from eating pomogranites in the close to 40 years I've been eating them AND, I had heard of the smack method before I saw Bobby Flay do it. I actually thought it was funny that he showed how to do in on television the way I had done it in the 4th grade. A man that owns that many restaurants and has more than a couple television shows is far from a HACK!

Commercial success doesn't mean you're not a hack. Uwe Boll still gets to direct movies, after all. :glare:

REALLY, though? Your fingertips don't turn yellow at all? :huh:

Mine always do, it's from something in the skin/pith that gets squeezed out while prying the fruit open.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom