"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fruit & Nuts

Old 01-11-2007, 10:31 AM   #11
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to goboenomo Send a message via MSN to goboenomo Send a message via Yahoo to goboenomo
Bananas and berries for sure. I make smoothies out of bags of frozen berries we buy from the store. They do get messy when you freeze them though. The frost that collects on them absorbs the colour from the berries and will keep your hand a good shade of blue, or red when you touch them.

Also grapes are good to freeze and eat. I just put a cup of grapes in the freeze for an hour or so, and eat them right away. :)

Old 01-11-2007, 12:00 PM   #12
Master Chef

Send a message via MSN to crewsk
Quote:
Originally Posted by momchelle
Anyone know about citrus fruits? Like could I zest lemons, limes, oranges, whatever, before using the fruit, and then freeze it to have on hand when needed? I often use a citrus fruit for juice or for the kids' snacks (though so far they still aren't too keen on them), but it would be great to be able to zest them first so as not to waste it--I don't always have an immediate need for the zest.
There was a discussion on this a while back, here's a link to the thread Frozen Citrus Zest

Old 01-13-2007, 09:22 PM   #13
Senior Cook

Freezing fresh fruit

I like to free sliced fruits in juices, peaches in oj, sliced apples in grape juice, green grapes in lemonade(okay not a sliceable fruit), nectarines in cranberry juice, etc.

And when the have the frozen Bacardi Mixes(concentrated)on sale I buy those up and make fruit medleys with them, absolute heaven!

I just pack the fruit into small containers, pour the juice over them and freeze. They are just lovely all winter long, fresh fruit and fresh fruit juice all in one container. : )
Old 06-03-2007, 03:29 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Got a good deal on cherries this afternoon - $2.49/lb.
D'ya think I should pit them before freezing? I will be making pies or cobblers out of this lot.
Old 06-03-2007, 07:22 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I'd pit them before freezing, muddy. They will lose some of their moisture when they thaw, which might make them a bit of a challenge to pit. Do it now. Come on, don't procrastinate. I know it's no fun. Better now than later.
Old 06-03-2007, 08:03 PM   #16
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie E
I'd pit them before freezing, muddy. They will lose some of their moisture when they thaw, which might make them a bit of a challenge to pit. Do it now. Come on, don't procrastinate. I know it's no fun. Better now than later.
Years ago, when my children were little, I picked a 5 gallon bucket of pie cherries from a friend's tree. I had never pitted cherries before, and I didn't know what I was in for! It took me hours, and I had cherry juice all the way to my elbows.
We sure had good pies that winter, though.
Old 06-03-2007, 08:50 PM   #17
Master Chef

I found some great info here for freezing peaches, nectarines and plums:

How to freeze* peaches, neactarines and plums* (complete directions with photos)

Here are instructions for freezing pears:

FREEZING PEARS

*note: lemon juice is about the same as ascorbic acid.
Old 06-04-2007, 06:53 AM   #18
Executive Chef

yep mudbug, agree with Katie. You will be so happy to have the cherries pitted when you retrieve them from the freezer
Old 06-04-2007, 09:10 AM   #19
Cook

Alton Brown discussed freezing strawberries with dry ice on one of his Good Eats shows. The key, he said, to getting good quality berries after they've thawed is to bring the temperature of the berries as close to freezing as you can and then freeze them quickly. His method was to wash the berries, layer between paper towels in a colander and stick them in the fridge for a half hour to cool and dry. After a half hour, the berries should be between 35-40 degrees F. Break dry ice into small chunks, and add the berries and dry ice chunks into a container, and place in a cooler for 20-30 minutes. The berries will freeze quickly, and when thawed will retain much of their shape and flavor without being too mushy. Use thick gloves or oven mitts when working with dry ice, or you'll get a nasty freezer burn/frostbite if you aren't careful.
Old 06-04-2007, 01:25 PM   #20
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob
I will "second" Pytnplace's on peaches....We freeze them hear in summer months when local tree ripes are ready...usually just peel and put in freezer boxes...for cobblers etc. Also neat idea about freezing pieces and freezer bagging...I have done that with other items but not peaches..
I'll third the peaches! I just peel slice and bag them. I've made everything from pies and cobblers to ice cream with the fresh frozen peaches, and they behave like fresh peaches in every application.

I've had great luck with the dark sweet cherries. I do pit them before freezing. and blueberries. yes, spread them on a baking sheet and bag them when they are like big blue bb's I have native Jersey blues for my oatmeal all winter long.

Tags
None