"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fruit & Nuts

Old 12-03-2006, 06:41 PM   #11
Head Chef

I love all food that has bananas in it. Ice cream, pies, cookies etc. I also love to eat them when they are ripe and not green on top.

Jill and Jolie
shpj4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 09:09 PM   #12
Master Chef

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeppA
Hey there all. Yes I am the one who made Allen mash all those nanaers! lol.

But honesly they are the best. I can't complain about them not going to waist. They will get used. Specialy since we have 5 kids and a over grown one ( Allen ) lol

Tis the holiday season with cooking.
PeppA, I think that the bananas will definitely be going to the waist in another form.
Allen, I glad that you had the fortitude to mash all those bananas. I would have been paying a visit to the massage therapist for a shoulder massage after massing 14 lbs. of bananas.

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 09:33 PM   #13
Head Chef

Let's see PeppA, 14 lbs of bananas is probably about 70. And 3 bananas per bag is 20 something bags. Did you mash them in the bag? Can you mash them with a rolling pin after they are in the bag? Did you label the ones that you are making banana bread with for friends? Just wondering, sometimes they run bananas on sale and we all over buy. Now I can just freeze them. So glad.
Old 12-03-2006, 10:09 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Actually, I'm not quite so sure about the weight, as that's what PeppA told me it was. I didn't get a look at the receipt.

Remember, that's 14 lbs before peeling. It was actually about 31 bananas that were mashed/frozen (the little ones probably ate 5 or 6 bananas before I could get to all of them). 11 bags total, most with 3 bananas, two bags with 2 bananas, one bag with 2 1/2 bananas.
Old 12-03-2006, 11:32 PM   #15
Head Chef

I have a dumb question ... when you thaw them, do they brown quicker? Do they become brown when they are frozen? This is a great idea!
Old 12-04-2006, 08:11 AM   #16
Master Chef

I was ruined by a lazy banana bread freak who told me that all I had to do was throw the "freckled, overripe bananas" which I've been doing for years totally whole into the freezer. No peeling, no mashing no putting into plastic bags. Have been using her "lazy" ways for years and have had nothing but success--not even aborbing "odors" from the rest of the freezer. Yes, when you finally thaw them you can at least take out the number of bananas that you need (most recipes call for 3-6 bananas so there is no guess work) involved and yes the thawed out bananas are squishy and brown when thawed but who cares if they're for baking???? The peels also come off incredibly easy and the resulting banana is mostly mush to begin with. EASY job to puree!!! Using lazy friend's method I've used whole frozen bananas for over a year after throwing them in the freezer. Anywyay no one's ever died from my lazy friend's method and all want the recipe. If you run out of freezer space you can always toss them one at a time instead of throwing out a ziploc full of mashed, frozen puree that you labored over. When I take them out of the freezer I let the bananas set in a pie plate to thaw out--they do need a container to set in as they do give off some juices so you don't want to put them on your counter without having some sort of container for them. Just one more way to use ripe bananas. Good luck.
Old 12-04-2006, 08:53 AM   #17
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMediger
I have a dumb question ... when you thaw them, do they brown quicker? Do they become brown when they are frozen? This is a great idea!
Yes, and yes.

I've found that the bananas will brown over time, even in the freezer. Once they start to thaw, they will turn as well. However, as was mentioned, since the bananas are going into banana bread, who cares? I just love the taste.
Old 12-04-2006, 09:52 AM   #18
Sous Chef

You could make loaves of Banana bread as Christmas Gifts - If you have leftover loaves you could send some to me!!!!
Old 12-04-2006, 11:43 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Somewhere in there....there just has to be a banana pudding!!
The real deal mind you...not someting out of box!
Old 12-04-2006, 12:31 PM   #20
Sous Chef

I do the whole banana thing too. Did find though that they can goo a bit even frozen so I do bag them and then freeze them. A bit less messy.

Tags
None