What is your favorite apple?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Angie

Head Chef
I grew up with Red Delicious and never really liked them. I went for at least 20 years before eating another apple..I didn't realize how different they could be. A few months ago, I got started eating Granny Smith's with peanut butter for a morning snack. Then I moved on to Gala and Fuji apples.

My latest discovery is a Pink Lady apple. This one is by far my favorite.

Which one is yours? Not to cook with, but to pick up and eat as nature intended!

Love granny smiths, same as jpmcgrew mentioned, the others taste bland and soft/mealy to me as well.

I have always been fond of Jonathan for their crisp texture and refreshing tartness. I now really enjoy Fuji. We go to a local orchard and buy a bushel when they are in season. We use our food dehydrator and make great snacks of dried slices that are intended to last thru the winter but usually get munched long before snow falls.

Where I live, apple varieties are limited. Having said that, I have to endorse Granny Smith because they're readily available here and because they're delicous. I also like them because they're nice and crunchy and not "mealy" as others have said about other apples. I usually eat one Granny Smith a day most days.

Angie, i'm with you 100%. red delicious are far too mealy and one-note sweet (like the difference between refined white sugar and wildflower honey). pink apples (fuji, pink lady, gala) are just so where it's at.

if you have any access to more "exotic" varieties, look for crispin apples, aka mutsu. they're green-skinned with a tiny blush, and have the most AMAZING perfume of roses. crisp, tasty, not mealy at all. honeycrisp is the other harder-to-find tasty pink apple i'm fond of. i'm SO looking forward to the apple season at the baltimore farmer's market, since i haven't had either since last fall.

Being in Wisconsin, I have lots of Honeycrips to my avail.. I love them.. Another of my favorites is Haarlson. Both are very, very tart and crisp...

Love them!
-Brad

Red delicious, golden delicious and firiki apples from Mt Pelion here for sure. Below is a photo of Greece's famous apples:

Attachments

• Firiki applesred.jpg
    Firiki applesred.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 249
Cox's orange pippin are my favourite, not too sweet, nice and crunchy. I like gravensteins as well. My local farmer's market has an apple lady, and she has some rare heirloom varieties which are lovely too.

Like you, I grew up with red delicious. I always enjoyed them, but preferred golden delicious when they actually were golden, with a hint of pink. I also enjoy royal gala.

Jonathan is my all time favorite, then Golden Delicious. Don't know why Red Delicious were ever invented, might be its pretty looks, certainly is not its taste!

I love Macintosh apples but they are hard to find here in VA. I usually have to go to Trader Joes to get them and then they don't always have them. Fuji and Gala are next in line with golden delicious on occasion. I read somewhere that the red delicious apples have been hybrided too much now to get the deep red color and the shape that it has really affected the taste. When they were first introduced they were the sweetest apple around.

jabbur said:
I love Macintosh apples but they are hard to find here in VA. I usually have to go to Trader Joes to get them and then they don't always have them. Fuji and Gala are next in line with golden delicious on occasion. I read somewhere that the red delicious apples have been hybrided too much now to get the deep red color and the shape that it has really affected the taste. When they were first introduced they were the sweetest apple around.

Macintosh are also my favorite. It is the same here were I live in the midwest, for some reason they are so hard to find in the stores.:ermm:

Nothing beats a Pink Lady apple! I had one for the first time a few months ago and now no other kind else compares. The only unfortunate thing is that they're not always easy to find in stores near me. It's basically hit or miss - if they have them there are tons, but if they don't it could be a while before you'll see them again. Fuji apples are good too.

Back
Top Bottom