What to do with fresh pears?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cherry2000

Assistant Cook
I have most of a box of some delicious Harry & David pears leftover from Christmas. They are absolutely huge, and it's hard to eat a whole one at one sitting. They are pretty ripe, and it would be a sin to let them go to waste.

Any ideas for what to do with them? I still have about 5 that I need to use up.

I like to make a cheese mixture of cream cheese, gorgonzola, dried cranberries and toasted pine nuts (or any kind of nuts you really like) and fill the center of the pears. I can eat a whole Harry and David pear that way - an entire meal.

Cherry2000 said:
I have most of a box of some delicious Harry & David pears leftover from Christmas. They are absolutely huge, and it's hard to eat a whole one at one sitting. They are pretty ripe, and it would be a sin to let them go to waste.

Any ideas for what to do with them? I still have about 5 that I need to use up.

Here is a page from www.foodtv.com with Pear recipes. I cannot say that I've tried them all, but I've seen many of them prepared on the various shows and they all looked delightful.

http://web.foodnetwork.com/food/web/searchResults?searchString=pears&site=FOOD&searchType=Recipe

Most recently I've watched the Rachel Ray shows with the following recipes:

http://web.foodnetwork.com/food/web/searchResults/0,7822,,00.html?searchString=pears&searchType=Recipe&WeekNumber=&Show=&sortField=score&sortOrder=desc&searchStringSuffix=ray

Last edited:
Good pears are delicious eaten with pecorino cheese... make a nice antipasto...

This recipe can be used for pears, too... also delicious with peaches or apricots!

Also Marmalady posted this wonderful recipe a while back, I have been wanting to try it just haven't had a chance, but I KNOW this is going to be good!!

Argh, I don't know why but the second link is not working... I will copy it here Marm, I hope you wouldn't mind the credit is all yours!!

PEAR AND ALMOND TART

8-10 servings

Crust:

2 large egg yolks
2T apple cider (I use 1T cider vinegar)
1 ¼ cups AP flour
2T sugar
½ tsp salt
9T chilled unsalted butter, cut in small pieces

Filling:

½ cup packed almond paste (about 5 oz.) - NOT marzipan! And not the stuff in a can.
¼ cup sugar
¼ cup AP flour
4T unsalted butter, room temp
2 large eggs
½ tsp vanilla
½ cup toasted almond slices
4 medium bartlett or Anjou pears (about 1 ¾ lbs)
Apricot jam for glaze - or - this year I'm using Stonewall Kitchens 'apricot/ginger' jam

For Crust: Whisk egg yolks and cider/vinegar in small bowl. Blend flour, sguar and salt in processor. Add chilled butter and process til mixture resembles coarse meal. Add egg yolk mixture and process til moist clumps form. Gather dough into a ball, press into a disk; wrap in plastic and chill 1 hour. Press dough evenly into bottom and up sides of 11 inch diameter tart pan with removeable bottom. Chill while preparing filling.

For Filling: Preheat oven to 375. Blend almond paste and sugar in processor til paste is finely ground. Add flour and 3T butter, and process til a thick paste forms. Add eggs and vanilla and process til smooth. Spread flling in crust, and cover and chill while preparing pears.

Peel pears – Cut each pear in half lengthwise, and core (melon baller is great for this!); slice 1 pear half crosswise into 1/3 inch thick slices toward the wider end; don’t cut all the through the top, narrower end. Press the pear half to fan the slices toward the wider end. Slide a spatula under the pear and plate on top of the filling, positioning narrow end of pear in center of tart and wider end against crust. Repeat with remaining pears. Melt the remaining 1T butter and brush over the pears.

Bake til pears are tender and crust is brown, about 50 minutes. Cool 30 minutes. Remove from pan. Melt the apricot jam in a small pan, and brush over the top of the tart. Sprinkle almonds all over the tart, or make a border around the edge of the tart with the almonds. Serve warm or at room temp.

or.......you could send them to me.......

Pear pies are always wonderful, but it's a shame to cook a Harry & David!

Since I've been dipping anything and everything this week, how about slicing a pear, patting it with a paper towel to remove any excess juice and dipping each slice halfway into chocolate? It would be lovely with a glass of moscatto wine!

Or fresh pear chutney?
I love licia's idea - yummmmm!

licia said:
I like to make a cheese mixture of cream cheese, gorgonzola, dried cranberries and toasted pine nuts (or any kind of nuts you really like) and fill the center of the pears. I can eat a whole Harry and David pear that way - an entire meal.

My grandma used to do something similar to that, then put them cut side down in lime jello. They were really good.
I've never had a Harry & David pear, but I've had several different kinds of pears fresh off the tree, and they were so good.

So...do you think the Harry & David stuff is worth the price?

I've never bought them for myself, but we've had them several times as gifts. I think they are worth the price. I haven't seen their quality anywhere else. I saw a comparison of about 5 different gift packages, and H & D was the only one that didn't have bruised fruit and the only one considered worth the cost.

licia said:

Yum. Can I add some figs on the side too :) Thanks, licia.

If we could only get fresh figs as much as you do there. I love them but the shelf life is so short. We usually have them dried or in preserves except for the very short season. I like figs with ANYTHING.

another fan of sharp cheeses and pears as a combo. they're also good "paired" with prosciutto or breseaola.

pears sliced thin, optionally wrapped in a thin strip of prosciutto, are nice on a salad of mesculun, balsamic or lemon viniagrette, with candied walnuts, and locatelli shaved over top.

you could also quarter the pears, and toss them in some melted sugar, butter, lemon and orange juices, and flambe them with a little brandy or rum.

licia said:
If we could only get fresh figs as much as you do there. I love them but the shelf life is so short. We usually have them dried or in preserves except for the very short season. I like figs with ANYTHING.

Licia, if only you were here! Looking out my upstairs window right now, my view is of our fig tree, which has dropped it's leaves for the winter, but still has probably 80-100 figs left on it. I love them too!

lhanson, another pear idea: dip slices in a cinnamon-cream fondue, perhaps?

An ex-in-law used to poach pears in wine with mixed pickling spice. I don't remember what kind of wine it was, but the pears turned out pink. They were really good!

jkath, just think of those of us who aren't so lucky when you are relishing your figs. I'm glad someone has them, even if I can't. Enjoy!

Happy to see several fig lovers here, like myself. Look forward to seeing lots n lots of fig recipes from the members here.

Licia, if I could, I would send you some from sunny so. california. Meanwhile, in the off-season, wonder if dates might work? BTW, I had the bestest Date shake when I stayed in Palm Springs... lol, but that's a whole 'nother recipe. :-]

Last edited:
Wow...some really great looking recipes here. Thanks for all the replies so far.

And Constance...I too would say I think they would be worth the price. They are the most flavorful, juicy pears I have ever eaten.

Cherry,
I have a pear bread recipe that is wonderful, more like a cake than bread..If you'd like I'll post for you

kadesma:)

kadesma said:
Cherry,
I have a pear bread recipe that is wonderful, more like a cake than bread..If you'd like I'll post for you

kadesma:)

Ooooo yes! Please post that one, kadesma! That sounds wonderful. It also sounds like it might freeze well, which would enable me to use these up and still enjoy them later :)

delicious cut up on a salad with pecans and gorganzola cheese with a light balsamic vinaigrette, a fine desert, pealed and sliced with a little chartreuse poured over top (marinate for an hour, serve chilled) or poached with red wine and spices...another great desert.

Back
Top Bottom