"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fruit & Nuts
Old 12-21-2007, 12:37 AM   #11
If they are not to mushy you could put them in a jell-o mold.

bigjimbray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 10:07 PM   #12
Head Chef
End of story: I peeled and chopped the mushy pears. Put them in a saucepan w/some sugar and cooked them down. Then added some orange zest, orange juice and nutmeg. I guess what I have is a pear sauce or pear butter.

I called Harry and David. They were very nice and they are sending more pears. Want to place bets on whether they are frozen or not?

Practice random acts of kindness.

callie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 11:47 PM   #13
Senior Cook
Send a message via MSN to wysiwyg
Cut three pears in quarters and caramelize them in a frying pan with a bit of butter, add salt and pepper and a tad of balsamic vinegar before getting them out of the pan.
Set aside to cool down to room temperature.

Chop and mix a Boston lettuce head, half of a radicchio, 6 oz of gorgonzola or Stilton and 2 tbspoons of rasted walnuts (chopped). Add salt, pepper and balsamic vinegar to taste.

Divide the veggies in four dishes, add three pears quarters to each dish and cover with leftover caramel from frying pan and you get a nice salad.
"Tell me what you eat, and I will tell you what you are" Anthelme Brillat-Savarin
wysiwyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 01:28 AM   #14
Executive Chef
Callie, I realise that you have already used the frozen pears but if the next batch are also frozen, stew, but don't puree them, and just freeze the puree. Once you have the puree you can use it in cakes, tarts, muffins, over breakfast cereal, in pancakes (either in the batter or as a filling), or even as frozen treats on a hot summers day!

Too many restaurants, not enough time...
Bilby is offline   Reply With Quote