What to do with lemons and lemon juice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Essiebunny

Senior Cook
I just received a large crate of lemons. I know that I will be zesting some to make Lemonchello, but what can I do with the rest. Also, I really need suggestions for the lemon juice from the lemons after I zest them.
I hope this makes sense.

freeze in in small amounts like an ice cube tray then bag and use to add flavor to almost anything you cook.

Make lemon meringue pie, lemon jelly or even a large supply of lemonade. I imagine you could freeze the lemon juice, perhaps in ice cube trays for easy use in recipes.

Lemon Meringue Pie

Ingredients;

Pastry:
100g plain flour
25g butter
25g lard
1 egg yolk
1 tsp caster sugar

Lemon Filling
2 large lemons
30g corn flour
300ml water
2 egg yolks
90g caster sugar

Meringue topping
3 egg whites
150g caster sugar

Put the flour into a bowl. Cut the butter and lard into cubes. Using your fingertips, rub butter and lard into flour until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
In a small bowl, mix together 1 egg yolk, l tsp caster sugar and 1 tsp cold water. Make a well in the centre of crumbed flour mixture and add the egg and sugar mixture Using your hands, bring mixture together quickly to form a smooth, firm dough.
Roll out pastry on a surface lightly dusted with flour to make a circle big enough to line the base and sides of a shallow, loose bottomed 20cm fluted flan tin. Carefully roll pastry around rolling pin. Lift over tin and unroll pastry.
Using fingertips, case pastry into tin. Trim top edge neatly. Chill in fridge for 30 minutes. Put a baking sheet into oven set at 425F/220C/gas 7. Line pastry case with greaseproof paper and weight down with baking beaus. Cook on baking sheet for 15 min. Remove paper and beans. Return to oven and cook for 5 min, or until light golden brown.
Finely grate rind and squeeze juice from 2 large lemons. Put juice and rind into a bowl. Add the corn flour and 2 tbsp cold water taken from 300ml cold water. Blend to a smooth paste.
Boil remaining water in a saucepan. Pour on to lemon mixture, stirring continuously. Return to pan and bring to boil, stirring continuously for 3 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in 2 egg yolks and caster sugar, heating well. Cook over a low heat for 1 minute, or until mixture thickens. Leave to cool for 10 minutes, and then pour into pastry case.
Put 3 egg whites into a clean bowl. Using an electric beater, whisk whites until soft peaks form. Add caster sugar, 1 tsp at a time, whisking well between each addition, until all sugar is whisked in and meringue is glossy and forms stiff peaks.
Reduce oven temperature to 325F/160C/Gas 3. Spoon meringue over lemon filling, spreading right out to edges of pastry case. Pile meringue up in centre of pie to give a domed effect. Cook pie in oven for 25 minutes, or until meringue is pale golden.
To remove pie from tin, position on top of tin upturned bowl and carefully ease sides away from base, pressing down as you do so. Serve warm.

I would get a good stock of zest and freeze in baggiesm the juice I would but into ice cube trays, the lemon rinds put them into baggies also and then when you cooking throw a rind or 2 into what ever you cooking, waste not want not

scald some large glass mason jars, scald the lemons in boiling water poured over them in a strainer then hit them with cold water, dry them then split each into 4, but DO NOT cut all the way through them, they have to stay together.
then shove a few bay leaves in the bottom of the jar, pour salt into an open lemon and drop that into the jar, and keep doing that with all the lemons and pack them in tight!
then fill up any air gaps with hot concentrated salt water and seal it right away.

leave it in a cool dark place for 6 months at least.

when you take one out you`ll find even the skin will be easy to squish up with a fork, do that and rub it under the skin of a whole chicken and all around it and roast as normal :)

;)YT, are you a scientist or something, sounds way too complicated, like some nuclear physics experiment or so.

I say, juice it and freeze it.

make a lemon salad

boil whole lemons until the skin turns a light color.

remove from the water.

I put them on a plate and cut them into thin strips with a knife, removing the seeds at this time.

put the pieces in a bowl stir in some honey and olive oil (more than the honey) and a sprinkle of oregano.

Chill and serve with chicken, fish pork......

Another way of preserved lemons - great for North African recipes.

5 lemons
70g salt
1 cinnamon stick
2 cloves
6 coriander seeds
4 black peppercorns
bay leaf
150ml lemon juice
water

With a very sharp knive, cut approx 8 vertical incisions around the peel of each lemon. Don't go too deep, or the lemon will seperate when cooked.
Put the lemons in a stainless steel pan with all the other ingriedients and cover the lemons with water.
Boil until the lemons are softened (20/30 minutes)
Place in a clean container and leave for a minimum 5 days before serving.

Try and enjoy.

Lemon Souffles served in hollowed out lemons - like so:
Little Lemon Souffles

Lemon cheesecake

LemonBlueberry Muffins
Lemon-Blueberry Muffins

Lemon crepes. (Freeze some for a later date & fill with whatever you like.)

Lemon Rosemary Cake(s)
Lemon-Rosemary Cake

Lemon Rosemary Cake

Ina had a picnic Lemon cake recipe on FN for awhile. If your interested, give me a pm/holler.

Lemon Chicken Marsala
Lemon Chicken Marsala

Chicken Piccata
Chicken piccata

Lemon & Smoked Salmon Pizza
Lemon Salmon Pizza

Meyer Lemon Cake
(Made w Meyer's, but it's an idea to play with)
meyer lemon cake

Lime & Lemon Ice Cream
Lime and Lemon Ice Cream

And...

100 Things to do w a Meyer Lemon (You can use most of the ideas for reg lemons)

100 things to do with a Meyer lemon - Los Angeles Times

Last edited:
Maybe I missed it in all the previous posts, but I didn't notice anyone mentioning my favorite use for lemon juice. Substitute it for salt. I love salt and use way more than I should...so I use lemon juice instead.

Years ago I had a lemon tree that produced dozens of lemons all year long(calif.) and I froze the juice as mentioned by others here. It works great.

lemonchello? Do you have a recipe for that? I bought a huge bag of lemons, and now i'm wondering what the heck to do with them all. Glad I found this thread...thank you in advance.

TNTsmom

Give this a try. Our batch will be ready to complete this weekend.
Enjoy!!!!!

LEMONCHELLO
1 BOTTLE EVER-CLEAR ALCOHOL

8 LEMONS, ZEST ONLY

PUT THESE TWO THINGS IN A LARGE GLASS SCREW TOP CONTAINER AND SHAKE 3X A DAY FOR 14 DAYS.

AT 14TH DAY, FILL EVER-CLEAR BOTTLE WITH WATER TO MARK ON TOP INDICATING AMOUNT BEFORE REMOVING EVER-CLEAR.

HEAT THIS WATER WITH 2 1/2 CUPS SUGAR UNTIL SUGAR IS DISSOLVED.

POUR BOTH LIQUIDS IN GLASS CONTAINER AND STIR WELL.

FILLS 2 750 ML SCREW TOP BOTTLES.

freeze in in small amounts like an ice cube tray then bag and use to add flavor to almost anything you cook.

Wow...so simple...why have I never thought of that?? I'm sick of always using an entire lemon when a recipe calls for just 1 tsp. or something (because I can't stand the fake stuff in the bottles). This makes so much more sense; buy a bunch of lemons, spend a little time juicing them all into ice cube trays so that you have it for future uses.

Anyone know how long the juice will keep frozen?

These are wonderful ideas! My Meyer lemon tree has gone bonkers this season and I've got to do something with them other than bringing them in for coworkers and leaving them on neighbors' doorsteps. :)

I have a Lemon Sherbet Recipe that is awesome if you would like, I'll have to PM it's from a cookbook.
How long will the lemonchello keep? Refrigerate or no?

Back
Top Bottom