What to do with over 30 lbs of tangelos?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dina

Executive Chef
My husband just got over 30 pounds of tangelos and I don't want them to go bad. What can I do with so much citrus? Recipes would be greatly appreciated.

Refrigerate!!!!!! Eat out of Hand...Fresh squeezed juice every morning....Go get a bottle of champagne and make Mimosas for Thanksgiving. Use some to squeeze and marinate with. Put some inside the cavity of your turkey.....Refrigerate!!!!

Since you have so many, a pretty addition to your holiday decor would be to make a wreath out of lemon (or other pretty) leaves and tangelos. (The fruit needs to be attached with wooden skewers). Then tie it with a pretty large ribbon.

Other than that, the juicing/marmalading would be my guess too.

Sorry, I don't tend to make it myself - my MIL gives us plenty. Most good books on preserving will have a recipe or even a google will produce some.

Okay you can use it wherever you would use an orange, more or less. As Miniman said, there is marmalade or a jelly but you can also use it as a glaze as per duc a l'orange or on a ham. Mandarin and orange segments are often used in salads. You could try bottling them in brandy in a similar way to cumquats. You can use the juice and rind to make cakes and desserts or put them thru a crepe suzette. Coat the segments in melted chocolate for an after dinner treat. Squeeze them and make a sorbet or an icecream. Tangelo butters. Stuff a chicken with them instead of a lemon. Use them with cranberries to make a relish akin to the recipe recently shown on DC that used orange with the cranberries. Try your hand at making a liquour. Make dried peel for your next fruit cake.

They keep a fair while - or they should - so you could just eat them.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom