What to do with over ripe mangoes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

buckytom

Chef Extraordinaire
i bought a box of 8 really big mangoes last week, and they got pushed to the back of the fridge and were forgotten about.

most of them are over ripe now, so i was wondering what i could make with them.

i was thinking smoothies, or maybe even a sweet/savory bread, but i'd need a recipe for the latter.

what would you do with several overripe mangoes?

i don't think they'd make it all the way to the u.p. of michigan in tact with the snowball launcher... :)

Do you have an ice cream maker? You could make mango ice cream or gelato! (or mango sorbet or sherbet).
Or you could do a mango pudding or a mango fool.
Another idea - you could make a mango puree, and swirl it into vanilla ice cream!

Last edited:
Mango salsa, with some chili powder, maybe pineapple. And they make a great meat tenderizer, mango puree with some spices to smear on meat. Hmm. Maybe puree the whole lot and freeze 'em for later, in ice cube trays or ziplocks, perhaps with some lime juice. Mango daquiris.

Last edited:
Yes, mango, chipotle salsa add sliced green onions and cilantro for color. Freeze the extra.

You could also make a seared beef salad with mango slices, arugula, and feta.

You could make chutney for later use or atchar.

Last edited:
thanks for the quick replies, everyone. i have some good ideas now. ice cream, meat tenderizer, muffins, chutney, or pie all sound really good.

i'm not sure if a salsa or slices would work since i think they work better with more fresh mangoes. but maybe a mango/chipotle bbq or hot sauce... hmmm.

thanks again.

it only just now occurred to me that the sumptuous-looking mango ceviche in the picture might be your own, ppt. it is a vision of pure temptation, provocatively poised in glass...

it only just now occurred to me that the sumptuous-looking mango ceviche in the picture might be your own, ppt. it is a vision of pure temptation, provocatively poised in glass...

It is mine. I saw great looking mangoes at the market in Chile. I did them just like fish ceviche. Lime juice, peppers, tomato, onions and cilantro. I took a lot of shots to get the look I was looking for. I am very happy with the photo and the ceviche was really good.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom