What's the Best Fruit You've Ever Eaten?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Green Lady said:
Might the custard apple be also called a durian?

Hi Green Lady, custard apple is not durian at all. Far from it. The custard apple's flesh is white, very soft, fragrant and saccharine sweet with lots of black seeds that you'll need to spit out, sort of like eating watermelons but far worse. But it's well worth the trouble! :)

Durian flesh is yellowish, creamy with a thick fibrous core around which you'll have to nibble to get as much of the custardy flesh as you can. Its indescribably heady and overpowering aroma is so intense it instantly blurs the line between stinky and heavenly. One is transported alternately between moments where it smells like rotten eggs and sulphur, and the next moment, you'll swear it's the loveliest smell in the world! :ROFLMAO: Best enjoyed near-frozen so I double-wrap it in cling-wrap and stick it in the freezer first.

my fav. fruit

Has to be Mango, we have heaps here, along with passionfruit, strawberry, and of coarse, lychees, oh and I love pineapple, but the acid gets to my tongue a bit, doesn't stop me from eating it though. oh and at chrissy time, CHERRIES nothing better, ( Gee I wish I had some now ):LOL:

My favorite fruits are as follows:

Alphonso Mango - Toots, this is what you are referring to as the King of Mangoes in India. There is nothing like it. This past year was the first year it was exported to US but the price was very high ($5 per mango or something ridiculous) but it still sold out in no time. It's flesh is bright orange and there is no stringiness. You have to eat it to believe it.

Custard Apple or Sweet Apple: Not Durian at all as Chopstix explained but completely a different fruit. It does not look very appealing but has an incredible custardy flavor. The best is custard apple icecream and milk shakes. I miss it terribly in the US

Guavas: Still my favorite and brings back childhood memories. I love the one with the bright pink inside. We use to eat it like an apple

Sweet Limes: Again specific to Asia. Like the orange of the west but less tart, less pungent and with a yellow flesh. It's sweet and divine. The juice is to die for

Pomegranates: Lot of work to peel but once the work is done I love to shove a whole handful into my mouth

Lychees: Fresh ones and I still buy them in the US and pay a hefty price tag for it

Fresh figs: Love them. There is nothing quite like it

Chickoos or Sapotos: Brown fruit and the ones we got in India was the smaller variety. It's very sweet and really good in milkshakes or even by itself. The ones from Mexico look much larger and I have never had them.

Jackfruit: I love this and it's again quintessential Asian. It has a fruity gumy type flavor that may not be everyone's cup of tea but I surely enjoy it.

I am not into apples, oranges, melon's

I truly do love all fruit, but when I saw the title of this thread, the first thing that came into my mind was a perfectly ripe peach. :)

I can't think of a fruit I don't like, but probably figs, peaches and mangoes would rank among the favorites - right now.

Buckytom can you still get Mary Jane cantaloupes in Jersey? I haven't seen any since I moved to Maryland, to me they were the best melon around. Also Jersey yellow corn puts Maryland white corn to shame.

If I had to pick just one it would have to be pomogranets I had some 20 + years ago. It was during the seazon I was in the area where they were growing and we would pick them right from the tree. Oh, my gosh, pomogranet have never tasted that good.

But the key of course to have it fresh, right from the plant, when the fruit is raip on the tree/plant. Anything taste great then.

I love all the fruits, if only I could get some real fresh fruits here in Minnesota. It is all junk. Taste like cardboard or rubber, or G-d knows what.

Buckytom can you still get Mary Jane cantaloupes in Jersey? I haven't seen any since I moved to Maryland, to me they were the best melon around. Also Jersey yellow corn puts Maryland white corn to shame.

elf, i've never heard of mary jane canteloupes. (sounds promising, tho :cool:) i will have to keep an eye out for them. thanks for the heads up.

and yes, freshly picked jersey corn is so good it doesn't need to be cooked. the best is from south jersey, near the delaware. we loaded up every chance we had this year. watermelons, peaches, and pumpkins all had a banner year as well, in these parts.

Alphonso Mango - Toots, this is what you are referring to as the King of Mangoes in India. There is nothing like it. This past year was the first year it was exported to US but the price was very high ($5 per mango or something ridiculous) but it still sold out in no time. It's flesh is bright orange and there is no stringiness. You have to eat it to believe it.
When I heard that the US was not able to import these I was very excited. I searched high and low and was willing to pay a premium (I had heard of them going for as much as $15 a mango) just to get a taste, but I was unable to find them. I love mango and from what I hear, no mango I have ever tasted even comes close to the Alphonso. I can only imagine how much better it can get.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom