"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fruit & Nuts
View Poll Results: What is your favourite kind of nut?
Almond 10 12.99%
Brazil nut 3 3.90%
Cashew 20 25.97%
Chestnut 1 1.30%
Hazelnut 5 6.49%
Macadamia nut 5 6.49%
Peanut (not technically a nut, but close enough!) 5 6.49%
Pecan 13 16.88%
Walnut 5 6.49%
Other (please share) 10 12.99%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-18-2007, 09:46 AM   #31
Senior Cook

I cant stand cashews lol. I like pecans for cooking, but pistachios for eating on their own

Old 01-18-2007, 10:50 AM   #32
Executive Chef

I love all nuts but pistachios are my favorite for snacking.

Old 01-18-2007, 11:13 AM   #33
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by urmaniac13
That is exactly my sentiment GB... only that I would drop pecan for the same reason you gave for walnuts... these two have sort of similar taste and mostly interchangeable, and I prefer the flavour of walnuts...
I also had never made the connection between the similarities of walnuts and pecans. I just looked them up in a tree book and botanically they are very similar, whaddyaknow.

I was raised with a black walnut tree in the back yard and never did like the flavor. In fact I avoided any walnut for decades because of my dislike for black walnuts. Then I discovered English Walnuts, toasted, and they are my current favorite nut, so versatile in cooking and baking..cashews used to be my favorite until I had an alarming allergic reaction to them. And I am impatiently waiting for my hazelnut/filbert bushes to grow up and start to bear, they could be my next favorite.

Oh, I voted for walnut
Old 01-18-2007, 11:20 AM   #34
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by middie
cashew cashew cashew...
Gesundtheit!
Old 01-18-2007, 12:19 PM   #35
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
I love em all to be honest, but if God said all nuts would vanish except the one you choose, it would be a toss up between, Cashews or Pistachio, and I`de probably try to sneak past Pecans while he wasn`t looking :)

Pistachios would probably win if HAD TO choose, but they would be in the shell and salted types :)

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 12:22 PM   #36
Master Chef

Though I love all of the nuts listed, my favorite snacking nut is the cashew. It has a rich, sweet flavor that is unequaled in the nut world . But I voted for the hazelnut. For me, it is a close second to the cashew in both flavor and texture. It is fairly easy to remove from the shell, and most importantly, it is incredible when combined with chocolate. Though the other nuts are great with chocolate as well, the unique cooling sensation of the hazlenut oils, along with the creamy texture, enhanse good chocolate to new levels.

And yes, I love pecans for pies, and with cookies, in nut breads, etc. And walnuts go well with everything that pecans go well with (except pecan pie). And cashews, along with peanuts are great to add to savory dishes. But you asked which nut was the favorite. And for me, because of its extraordinary affinity with chocolate, it has ot be the hazlenut.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 12:29 PM   #37
Chef Extraordinaire

peas, peas, peas, peas
eating goober peas
goodness, how delicious,
eating goober peas.

anyone remember this song? altho, i've always heard the last line "we are all rejoicing, eating goober peas".

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 12:33 PM   #38
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom
peas, peas, peas, peas
eating goober peas
goodness, how delicious,
eating goober peas.

anyone remember this song? altho, i've always heard the last line "we are all rejoicing, eating goober peas".
We sng it with the same line stating, "how wonderfully deliscious, eating goober peas". It was a boy scout stape along with songs like "Pink Pajamas" and "Do Your Ears Hang Low".

Those were good times when the youth were allowed to be more innocent, and there could be organizations for boys and girls that were seperate, and the two were not forced to be mixed. And there were organizations where gender mixing was allowed. So there was something for everyone.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 01:20 PM   #39
Senior Cook

I have different favorites for different purposes:

For general cooking, pine nuts
For general baking, pecans
For snacking, cashews
Sararwelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 01:39 PM   #40
Chef Extraordinaire

"Puh-cons" hands down!!!!
They don't taste anything like Walnuts to me....

Tags
None