What's your favourite nut?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What is your favourite kind of nut?

• Almond

Votes: 9 11.8%
  • Brazil nut

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • Cashew

Votes: 20 26.3%
  • Chestnut

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Hazelnut

Votes: 5 6.6%
  • Macadamia nut

• Peanut (not technically a nut, but close enough!)

• Pecan

Votes: 13 17.1%
  • Walnut

• Other (please share)

Votes: 10 13.2%

• Total voters

Piccolina

Executive Chef
A poll to see what kinds of nuts (no, not our weird and wonderful relatives :mrgreen:) DC members list as their favourites.

Almond

Brazil nut

Cashew

Chestnut

Hazelnut

Macadamia nut

Peanut (not technically a nut, but close enough!)

Pecan

Walnut

Other

There are other nuts too, but you can only list ten options...Some others would be pine nuts, pistachios, and candle nuts :)

Last edited:
I like walnuts because they are so versatile - good in puddings, good in cakes and GOOD to eat! The French walnuts are now in season and appearing in the shops here in the UK.

Oh, no... this is impossible, this is not a multiple choice!! How could I choose one over another!!? I am nuts about all sorts of nuts!! I love them all!!:wacko:

Last edited:
My favorite used to be cashews, until I had a job at the candy counter in a five and dime store. I tasted one each time I filled the scale for a customer, and got so sick of them I wouldn't eat them for years. I do enjoy them in salads, but don't eat them as a snack now. I like all of the ones mentioned, except I've never heard of a candle nut. Could you elaborate?

licia said:
I like all of the ones mentioned, except I've never heard of a candle nut. Could you elaborate?
I don't think I've ever had a candle nut, but I've heard about them and seen them on foodie sites...I think that they a nut that is toxic when raw but you can eat them if they are cooked/prepared, and are used to thicken some South Asian dishes.

Okay, I just went and googled...here is a link that explains them better :)

http://www.tradewindsfruit.com/candlenut.htm

There is no way I could pick a favorite. I like them all too much. It would be much easier to pick my least favorite which would probably be Walnuts. Don't get me wrong, I like walnuts, but if I had to give up one nut that is the one I would pick.

i was gonna ask if an avacado is classified as a nut, but i know that jkath eats a lot of them, and she's a nut, so that's good enough for me!!

my favorited are eastern black walnuts. my neighbor has a tree, and every year he roasts a bunch for me. they are delicious.

btw, while researching avacados, i found this informative site. scroll to the bottom for info on nuts...

http://www.fruitarian.com/ag/Varieties_of_fruits.htm

Last edited:
GB said:
There is no way I could pick a favorite. I like them all too much. It would be much easier to pick my least favorite which would probably be Walnuts. Don't get me wrong, I like walnuts, but if I had to give up one nut that is the one I would pick.

That is exactly my sentiment GB... only that I would drop pecan for the same reason you gave for walnuts... these two have sort of similar taste and mostly interchangeable, and I prefer the flavour of walnuts...

urmaniac13 said:
these two have sort of similar taste and mostly interchangeable
You know I had never thought of it, but now that you mention it I can't believe I had never made that connection. You are so right that they are VERY similar :chef:

urmaniac13 said:
That is exactly my sentiment GB... only that I would drop pecan for the same reason you gave for walnuts... these two have sort of similar taste and mostly interchangeable, and I prefer the flavour of walnuts...
I agree with you two, how can we possibly decide - almonds inch out though as my very favourite though, and if I had to give one up it would be Brazil nuts.

I went with Pecans, mainly as that's what I grew up with, as Pecan trees grow everywhere back in OK. Lots of Black Walnuts, too. There are lot of Black Walnuts up here, and I'm beginning to think about going and getting a bunch.

As for other favorites, I love Macadamias, Hazelnuts, Walnuts, and Cashews. I'll eat other nuts, but they aren't something I'd go out and buy.

I like all kinds except black walnuts...I think they're nasty tasting. We have a tree on our property, and I leave the nuts for the squirrels.

not only do I love nuts, but I love to cook with them. peanuts add to many dishes, as do fresh ground peanuts in ground nut stew or cold sesame noodles etc. great in salads too.
cashews go well in chilis...really nice, and roast with cauliflower (last 5 minutes)
of course we know that almonds, pecans, and hazelnuts have all sorts of uses in savory as well as sweet applicaitons.
a great source of protein and the right kind of fat.

Piccolina said:
A poll to see what kinds of nuts (no, not our weird and wonderful relatives :mrgreen:) DC members list as their favourites.

Almond

Brazil nut

Cashew

Chestnut

Hazelnut

Macadamia nut

Peanut (not technically a nut, but close enough!)

Pecan

Walnut

Other

There are other nuts too, but you can only list ten options...Some others would be pine nuts, pistachios, and candle nuts :)

You! :mrgreen: Just kidding. Brazil nuts, cashews, macadamia. :)

Imported pistachios, absolutely no question at all. They are addictive.

They used to come from Iran, but now from Turkey. Smaller than California, but so much better flavor that I cannot eat California pistachios anymore. They are natural color, so you don't get that annoying red dye on your fingers.

Hard to find locally, but CVS drugstores have them, Zenobia brand. Also, Zenobia has a great website and will ship them.

(sheesh, can you tell I'm a fan? I've been eating these things since I was a kid!)

Lee

TinLid.gif.gif
Mr. Peanut! I can't really choose a favorite either! I usually go for the smoked almonds or spicy peanuts when I want a quick snack though.

Back
Top Bottom