"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fruit & Nuts
Old 10-27-2006, 08:03 AM   #11
Assistant Cook
I never buy frozen fruit. If I can't get what I want and the quality I want fresh, I just don't use it. I will say that I have found that if a melon or strawberries or fruit is just a tad "under taste", a sprinkle of nutrasweet really enhances the flavor (if you aren't sensitive to NS). It isn't really sweetening it--it is more of an enhancer. And I don't ever sweeten fruit with sugar either--got to taste the fruit!!

Gretchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 08:11 AM   #12
Head Chef
Berries need to be eaten in season, and like most fresh produce they taste best the fresher they are. Local sources rather than big chain supermarkets buying bulk at cheap cost, will have better tasting berries in general. This stuff is alive, and every moment its off the plant is heading towards its end!

That said, I freeze a lot of berries. Strawbarries are the ONE berry I don't freeze. Its when the thoroughly English side of me comes out. Strawberries get the texture of slugs if they are frozen, and so you HAVE to choose to process them in someway. The very best way to eat strawberries is fresh and raw....I make strawberry jam but its my least favourite. So whilst we live off other frozen berries happily through the off season, strawberries are pretty much a summer delight for us.

In omnibus amor et iustum
lulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 08:59 AM   #13
Executive Chef

I microwaved the berrie just to the point of getting mushy. These were whole and when I cut them they were not mushy. I believe that if the berries are sliced that is when they get that way. The berries I get in the store look like a picture and taste like one too. They come from California. The leaves remind me of felt like and ink blotter. I know there is local farm here that sells them and it is worth it to buy when in season. However, not making the effort to go there which takes time is my fault. So I will continue to buy the frozen until I can buy fresh at the farm.

In the Kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote