Wild Rubus Species?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LaineR

Assistant Cook
Does anyone pick wild rubus species other than Raspberries and Blackberries? I am talking about such delectable fruits as: salmonberry, neigoon, thimbleberry, black raspberry, cloudberry and dewberry. These are wild cousins to the raspberries and IMO are in general better; neigoon and cloudberry especially. There are said to be hundreds of species world wide of raspberry cousins and many are found within the U.S; so if you aren't picking them you should be.Anyway it's nearly rubus season here in Alaska and I hope so share recipes and photos with everyone here. Please, do share recipes you might have for wild rubus species.

Last edited:
If its a berry, I will eat it! LOL
Mulberries are my favorites... around here, I've only seen mulberries and blackberries. Although, after googling, I have probably had some dewberries too.
I posted a picture of my Monster Mulberry Cake somewhere here...

We have Black raspberries here which are great, and also Wineberries, which are wild. When I ride my bicycle, I always see them on the sides of the roads and trails, and I stop to eat them.

I have heard wineberry taste wonderful. They are an introduced Rubus from Asia but I would take them as an invasive species over Japanese knotweed any day.Mulberry is not in the Rubus genus btw rather it is a Morus species.

Last edited:
Growing up we had a boysenberry shrub, growing wild, down by the field we used to hang at after school.
It was huge, but I don't know how it got there, unless the birds dropped the seeds and it rooted.
Between eating and having berry wars, I don't know how it survived every year.
Never seen one since.
And I've never had them but fresh - dirt, sweat and all.
Oh yum.!​

yeah, growing up in the houston, tx 'burbs, the bramble-bracken all around the neighborhood was just rife with dewberries. we'd come home with margarine tubs full of 'em, and mom would make killer pies, or make them into home-made syrup/compote to pour on pancakes, or we'd just toss them on ice cream. don't think there's any up here in the DC 'burbs, though. :(

Back
Top Bottom