Turn Off Right Column

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy R

Site Team
Staff member
I wanted to let you know that I got the update in place so you can disable the right column that was recently added to the site. To do so, simple go to the UserCP >> Edit Options settings (link) scroll all the way to the bottom and you can now turn off the right column (see attachment).

Attachments

• turn off column.gif
    turn off column.gif
    12.2 KB · Views: 346
Uncle Bob,

Can you look now and see if you can see the option? I have been testing and it seems it's a permission issue but I can't seem to spot the problem. What browser are you using?

Thanks for the help/feedback with this.

Andy

Uncle Bob,

Can you look now and see if you can see the option? I have been testing and it seems it's a permission issue but I can't seem to spot the problem. What browser are you using?

Thanks for the help/feedback with this.

Andy

Sorry it took so long to respond...My stomach was growling....

Yes, I just checked again...I see it as I described up thread...I'm using Firefox.

OK, I think I have found the issue. Unfortunately it's beyond my technical expertise and I am going to have to add it to the "To Do" list for the programmer to help me with. Hopefully I can get this resolved in the next 24 hours. I will post an update ASAP.

Andy....I just logged on with IE7...The site loaded default v2.0 --- The option was not there....I switched to v1.0 (still in IE7) and it WAS there.....

Andy....I just logged on with IE7...The site loaded default v2.0 --- The option was not there....I switched to v1.0 (still in IE7) and it WAS there.....

I did it just like UB said. I changed it to DiscussCooking v1.0 and saved the changes. The option then showed up at the bottom of the page. I then checked Turn off the right column and switched it back to default and now the right column is gone. Thanks UB!

Like the others, I'm seeing the "Turn off Right Column" option in the old skin in Firefox, IE, and AOL, but it isn't in the new skin in any of them. At least the change carries over from one skin to the other, though.

Andy, is there a way to turn off the right column just within the threads? I love having the right column on the power users page, but do not like it within the threads themselves. I would not mind it so much in the threads if the width was the same as on the power users page.

Not sure what I did, I am back to blue screen that I can read. Aging eyes, ya know? :LOL: I still have stuff on the right side of the screen, butr not the ads I was seeing. Much better, Thank YOu!

Andy, is there a way to turn off the right column just within the threads?
I will put this on the To Do list. I cannot give you an ETA at the moment but will think about how to do this and hopefully address this quite soon.

What do you think about these options:

Right Column:
Display On All Pages
Do not display on Threads/Discussions
Turn Off (all pages)

I think a lot of people like the right column on the forum listing pages but don't like it on the thread pages. That being said, if we switch to the above we can allow On/Off or just on the forum display (and portal).

Does the above sound logical? Do you have any other suggestions? (please remember a goal should be to keep it simple because if it gets too complex it's going to be difficult to maintain).

Like the others, I'm seeing the "Turn off Right Column" option in the old skin in Firefox, IE, and AOL, but it isn't in the new skin in any of them. At least the change carries over from one skin to the other, though.

Yes... I just changed to the v1.0 skin, switched off the right column, then changed back t the new skin and the column is off.:chef:

I will put this on the To Do list. I cannot give you an ETA at the moment but will think about how to do this and hopefully address this quite soon.

What do you think about these options:

Right Column:
Display On All Pages
Do not display on Threads/Discussions
Turn Off (all pages)

I think a lot of people like the right column on the forum listing pages but don't like it on the thread pages. That being said, if we switch to the above we can allow On/Off or just on the forum display (and portal).

Does the above sound logical? Do you have any other suggestions? (please remember a goal should be to keep it simple because if it gets too complex it's going to be difficult to maintain).

I think those options would be great. I also think if the width of the side column could be cut in half or so then more people would want to use it.

The option to turn off the right column is now working in both v1.0 & v2.0 of the Discuss Cooking skins.

You can get to this options from the UserCP >> Edit Options (or click here). It's at the very bottom of the page.

attachment.php

Ultimately I'd like to have it so you can define what you want in the sidebar (which recent posts, content, etc) but that is a ways away. I will have to digest and figure out how to setup a wide and skinny option for the side bar. Please be patient while I try to figure this out.

Hello,

I was wondering for this to work for me do i need to have a certain amount of post to be able to turn off the side bar? I can't see it in the edit options under miscellaneous box.

Back
Top Bottom