"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Terms & Techniques

Old 01-08-2007, 09:43 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

94% Vodka and cooking

Hi folks,

This is my first post and I appreciate any assistance you may provide. My Polish fiance wants to cook some Polish recipes (not sure exactly what) and she says she needs 94% Vodka. In my research, I can only find something called EverClear that may meet this need. Does anyone know of another kind or maybe a substitute? I am in Virginia and I am not sure that something that is 190+ proof is even sold here. Thanks.

Old 01-08-2007, 09:46 AM   #2
Executive Chef

94 proof vodka, would be top shelf cask strength...almost 50%. 94% is called grain alcohol in this country. Everclear. Keep it away from open flames.

Old 01-08-2007, 09:51 AM   #3
Assistant Cook

Thanks so much. There is slight langauge barrier sometimes with her since she is Polish and I am American speaking English. I will double-check to make sure we are talking about the same thing.
Old 01-08-2007, 10:00 AM   #4
Chief Eating Officer

94% and 94 proof are two different things. Like both of you mentioned, 94% is generally something like Everclear which is grain alcohol. It is actually not a vodka.

What is it that she is making that she needs that?

Welcome to the forum!
Old 01-08-2007, 10:02 AM   #5
Executive Chef

timothycmoore, alcoholic drinks with extremely high alcoholic content (eg. over 50% by volume that is 100 proof) are illegal in most countries. The reason for this is that drinking alcohol in such high concentration is very hazardous to one's health due to the alcohol's tendency to extract water to dilute itself from whatever substance it comes in contact with. So, chances are that you will not be able to find a branded alcoholic drink with the content you want. The best alternative is what Robo suggested. Please use it as the Polish would do and do not be tempted to drink it straight to see what it tastes like.

Most likely, you should be able to carry out your recipe using ordinary Vodka and adjusting the amount so as to get the required quantity of alcohol. The ratio of ordinary vodka to Polish vodka to use should be approximately 2 to 1.
Old 01-08-2007, 10:06 AM   #6
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by boufa06
timothycmoore, alcoholic drinks with extremely high alcoholic content (eg. over 50% by volume that is 100 proof) are illegal in most countries.
While that may be true (I do not know one way or the other) I do know that the law varies state to state in the US. Most states I have been in regularly sell 151 rum, which is much higher that 100 proof. Also Everclear is almost 200 proof and is sold in some states.
Old 01-08-2007, 10:14 AM   #7
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
While that may be true (I do not know one way or the other) I do know that the law varies state to state in the US. Most states I have been in regularly sell 151 rum, which is much higher that 100 proof. Also Everclear is almost 200 proof and is sold in some states.
GB, it is most likely that the highest permissivable alcoholic content of any alcoholic drinks would be the same for every state as it should be logically a matter regulated by the FDA (IMO). 200 proof is equivalent to 100%, which no matter how the percentage is measured (by volume or by weight) amounts to pure alcohol. If anyone would drink this for any reason, the consequences would be dire. Is it possible that the very high alcoholic content concoctions are not meant for human consumption but for some other use?
Old 01-08-2007, 10:20 AM   #8
Chief Eating Officer

I have never seen 200 proof sold, but I have seen and have bought Everclear grain alcohol which is clearly produced for consumption. Everclear is 190 proof and is only legal in some states. For instance, it is not legal in MA, but it is legal in NH.

Trust me, the consequences of drinking this stuff is not dire. In my younger days (in college) we used to drink it all the time. I know many many many people who have done the same. As with any alcohol, you just need to drink responsibly. A small amount of grain alcohol goes a long way. You would not be taking shots of this stuff.

Here is some more info on it.
Old 01-08-2007, 10:32 AM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
I have never seen 200 proof sold, but I have seen and have bought Everclear grain alcohol which is clearly produced for consumption. Everclear is 190 proof and is only legal in some states. For instance, it is not legal in MA, but it is legal in NH.

Trust me, the consequences of drinking this stuff is not dire. In my younger days (in college) we used to drink it all the time. I know many many many people who have done the same. As with any alcohol, you just need to drink responsibly. A small amount of grain alcohol goes a long way. You would not be taking shots of this stuff.
Dear God, GB! You must be quite a drinker! And I thought that, despite my background, I wasn't doing too bad myself! At least I know now what drink to offer you should you come around one of these days. Cheers!

Further to your next to last post, we do have a bottle of a drink called Arbsinth I believe which comes from the Czech Republic if memory serves me right. Its alcoholic content is about 75 -80%. However, when you drink it, you are supposed to light it up. It burns with a nice blue flame on the surface. You are supposed to drink it when the flame goes off. By that time, its alcoholic content is greatly reduced and therefore it is much safer to drink. The bottle does carry a warning about drinking it neat.
Old 01-08-2007, 10:34 AM   #10
Chief Eating Officer

Oh don't get me wrong boufa06. Those days are long in my past. You would not catch me drinking anything like that anymore.