A box of flour?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

magnoliasouth

Assistant Cook
I have acquired copies of some ancient family recipes. I was amused at some of the references in the recipes such as a peck of tomatoes. I couldn't help hearing myself leap into Peter Piper as I read it. :LOL:

Anyway, there are a few mysteries I've found such as a box of flour. I know about a box of powdered sugar, but the flour is a mystery. How much would a box of flour be?

Another one is liquid shortening. Color me silly, but that's the first time I've ever run across that. I googled it and found that it is actually available online for purchase, but I'm not going to go that route. What exactly is liquid shortening. That I could not find, only products themselves. I'm assuming cooking oil would suffice, but what is recommended in particular?

Thanks to anyone for any hints!

The only wheat flour in a box that I can recall using is Swans Down Cake Flour -- mine is a 2-pounds box.

My guess is that liquid shortening is the same as any cooking oil, such as those from Crisco or Mazola -- anything should do, except olive oil, which has a strong flavor that would be inappropriate for 99.9% of baked goods.

Oh wow. I thought I thanked you for this! I can't believe I didn't. I'm so very sorry about that. Hmmmm.

Well in any case, thank you very much. That helped me tremendously!

Soybeans seem to be a primary source for liquid shortening. I'm no expert, but I believe liquid shortening is available to provide the following two features for cooking:

1) higher smoke point than oil
2) convenience of use for cooking tasks that call for oil over shortening

Most liquid shortenings I looked at have a smoke point around 450, vs the lower points of the popular duo, olive oil (not EVOO) and butter mixed.

as for baking, I am not sure a liquid shortening has the same effect as shortening for making a shortcrust pastry, which is its namesake.

I've half a mind to buy a bag of flour, a can of crisco, and a bottle of liquid shortening and compare the two down the wire, from general cooking to baking to pastry making.

I'm a pastry chef, so this really intrigues me as something I should have tried before, but never did.

-Matt F, Gourmet.
Lifelong foodie taking back the Gourmet title.

...as for baking, I am not sure a liquid shortening has the same effect as shortening for making a shortcrust pastry, which is its namesake.

I have heard to never use liquid shortening as a replacement for a solid shortening in baking. Liquid shortening soaks into and coats each of the flour granules. This does not give the dough flakiness - quite the opposite.

Solid shortening, when cold, creates a solid wall layer that repels water, and when heated, melts away leaving a space between cooked layers of dough, making it flaky. This process is impossible to duplicate using liquid shortening.

I have heard to never use liquid shortening as a replacement for a solid shortening in baking. Liquid shortening soaks into and coats each of the flour granules. This does not give the dough flakiness - quite the opposite.

Solid shortening, when cold, creates a solid wall layer that repels water, and when heated, melts away leaving a space between cooked layers of dough, making it flaky. This process is impossible to duplicate using liquid shortening.

thanks for the clarification Arky, just as I guessed. and thank you for saving me the cost and effort of putting together the test lab. :P

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom