Across the grain?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SubwayScriptures

Assistant Cook
I'm preparing a meal that calls for the meat (pork) to be cut into small strips. The directions say something like, 'cut the pork into small strips across the grain.'

I figure that has something to do with cutting across the grain of the muscle fiber, but how do I tell which way that fiber is running? Any pointers?

You should be able to see the grain in the meat. Muscles are thin bundles muscle fiber arranged side by side. Think of a handful of drinking straws. With a larger piece of meat, look on all sides. On at least two of the sides, you should be able to see these fibers.

What cut of pork are you using?

Uh I'm not really sure what cut of pork. Tenderloin perhaps?

I see the strands of muscle. So for "across the grain", that's the opposite of along the grain?

You would be cutting like this:

___________ |
___________ |
___________ | <---Knife

Uh I'm not really sure what cut of pork. Tenderloin perhaps?

I see the strands of muscle. So for "across the grain", that's the opposite of along the grain?

Yes. Cut across or perpendicular to the lines of the grain. That ensures there are no long muscle strands to be tough.

Just to let everyone know. The dinner was a hit. Everything stir-fryed came out well. The broccoli took in more of the tabasco sauce than anything else, so biting into one of those florets was like a little kick every time.

Thanks for the help.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom