Actual instruction vs Lots of Experience

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NoraC

Senior Cook
I am thinking of treating myself to a course of cooking instruction. I have a life event coming up which will yield me some cash to indulge in furthering my passion for cooking, but want to choose wisely where to go and what to ask for. Most of what I know has come from experience and learning from more experienced chefs who are willing to let me watch in exchange for veg prepping and so forth. In all humility, I can say that I am confident in my mastery of the common flavors of most cuisines and can produce almost anything for a household sized meal from most ethnicities. I am not at all consistent in my ability to cook for over 100 ( though I regularly do so sporadically - it is just nerve wracking) and am not particularly skilled in desserts and things I don't enjoy cooking. I have holes in my knowledge, such as really good knife sharpening skills, but don't want to spend class time on how to cook an egg or make a roux.

If you had a few thousand dollars to spend on a cooking course, where would you go?

I can't help with that, as I don't know about the various schools, but while you are considering where to go you might want to check out Rouxbe Online Video Cooking School. I won a few weeks of free instruction from Rouxbe, and it was great! Lots of excellent videos, step-by-step instructions, and you get to choose which lessons you want to see. I only had a few weeks, so I did all the ones I thought could help me with techniques that I was having trouble with.

Good luck! :cool:

Maybe instead of taking all of the classes from one place, you could sign up for several at difference venues? That's what I'd love to do anyway. =) But I guess that would depend greatly on the area you live in and what is available; there is a whole buffet of cooking classes and events around Seattle to choose from but we're probably just a wee bit spoiled.

>>I am not at all consistent in my ability to cook for over 100
I get the impression you are cooking professionally or something close to that?
not many "home cooks" toss a dinner party for 100 people - much less worry about whether they could carry it off....

>>, I can say that I am confident in my mastery of the common flavors of most cuisines and can produce almost anything for a household sized meal from most ethnicities.
that outshines about 99% of all us home cooks.

>>am not particularly skilled in desserts and things I don't enjoy cooking.
being a complete non-professional rank amateur pot rattler, but having followed multiple cooking Fori from scant to full blown pros, it is my impression that very few chefs run back and forth between the grill and the pastry kitchen. deserts/pastry/baking seems to be in its own world of specialty. now certainly the top dog chef probably has some input as to what kind of desert goes well with tonight's squid, but my impression is very few chefs cross the lines in a hands on fashion.

>>learning from more experienced chefs who are willing to let me watch in exchange for veg prepping and so forth.
there's your answer. find a chef with the skills you seek to develop and who will freebie apprentice you in his kitchen. spend the bucks on room/board/airfare....

I wouldn't want to get stuck in a class where the instructor is demonstrating something I know if I knew a better way.

I think I'd rather take a seminar here and there for different ethnic food preparations.

That way you wouldn't be tied down with the basics.

Zhizara, that's what I am thinking. I really wasn't so much blowing my own horn as trying to be clear that I don't want a too basic, structured class. If I could figure out how to reasonably apprentice with a few folks, that would make some sense. However, I am not a professional by any means. My work is as a sacristan.

I cook for family, friends and church and often handle big events in homes or rental halls as a gift. 100 folks is where I begin to feel a need to over plan rather than go with the flow.

Classes or a course or an experience of being taught rather than picking it up on my own would be a self indulgence, but I kinda feel like a little self indulgence from time to time.

I can check on CIA; would you recommend them?

CIA is in New York (and I think in ca) and is the elite of culinary schools.

I would totally recommend them! But they offer a very serious full timr professional curriculum. I don't think they offer part time. Which sounds like what you want.

Various other larger cities have professional culinary schools.

CIA: http://www.ciachef.mobi/

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom