"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Terms & Techniques
Old 05-01-2007, 10:11 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

I have tried to make Aioli a couple of times now and with little luck. I have read the techniques and it appears that drizzling in the oil is the secret. Is it best to use an upright mixer, food processor or a wisk? Any suggestions would be very much appreciated...

mnsills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 10:18 AM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef
What goes wrong when you make it? It will help if you post your recipe.

"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 03:25 PM   #3
Assistant Cook
i used the same recipe that i have found in multiple locations: 2 egg yolks and 1 cup of EVOO. I think that i put the OO in too fast and that was my error...i also used a food processor and perhaps a standing mixer might have been better? I was going to try to mix in Wasabi instead of garlic but perhaps i could use both? Thanks for the help.
Old 05-01-2007, 03:26 PM   #4
Assistant Cook
Just found this recipe from Cook's Illustrated
Use this sauce as a condiment for meats, fish, and vegetables, or spread it on sandwiches. If necessary, remove the green germ (or stem) in the garlic before pressing or grating it; the germ will give the aïoli a bitter, hot flavor. If you do not have regular olive oil, use a blend of equal parts extra-virgin olive oil and vegetable oil. Ground white pepper is preferred because it's not as visible in the finished aïoli as black pepper, but either can be used. The aïoli will keep refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Makes about 3/4 cup1medium clove garlic , peeled 2large egg yolks 1tablespoon lemon juice , plus 1 teaspoon 1/8teaspoon sugar 1/4teaspoon table salt ground white pepper (or black, if white is unavailable) 3/4cup olive oil

1. Press garlic through garlic press or grate very finely on rasp-style grater. Measure out 1 teaspoon garlic; discard remaining garlic.
2. In food processor, combine garlic, yolks, lemon juice, sugar, salt, and pepper to taste until combined, about 10 seconds. With machine running, gradually add oil in slow steady stream (process should take about 30 seconds); scrape down sides of bowl with rubber spatula and process 5 seconds longer. Adjust seasoning with additional salt and pepper, and serve
Old 10-06-2008, 10:27 AM   #5
Assistant Cook
When I was in culinary school, the day we made aioli was tedious. The key is to add the oil as slow as you can.
SamanthaBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 10:41 AM   #6
Sous Chef
do you want to cheat?

your essentually making a compound mayo.

you can take mayo plus your garlic (or wasabi) and then bam!!

it will last alittle bit longer too.

if you do make it from scratch. try to get pasturized egg yolks. that is if you can find them.
Genius is sparked by other peoples ideas.
GhettoRacingKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 10:31 PM   #7
Executive Chef
While I love making classic recipes in the classic manner, when it comes to making a stable aioli, I do what ghettoracingkid does, and cheat, by doctoring up some mayo.
Peace, Love, and Vegetable Rights!
Eat Meat and Save the Plants!
AllenOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 04:19 AM   #8
The traditional way to make alioli is like this:

Take about 5 or 6 garlic cloves and pestle them in a mortar with a bit of salt. Then you need about 1/4 L. of good olive oil, you add the olive oil little by little mixing at the same time until it gets a creamy consistency.

An easier version and less "garlicky" , is to take 3 garlic cloves, 1 egg yolk and a bit of salt. Then add the oil like above. Both the oil and the yolk should not be cold, better at room temperature.

The short cut that we all use when in a hurry: either make or use bought mayonnaise, and add garlic to it!!!!
My Cooking.....
Nat2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 04:29 AM   #9
Head Chef
Send a message via AIM to Adillo303
Please pardon me, I am trying to learn a bit here. Once you make it, what is it used for?

Thank You
One difference between a cook and a chef is that the cook mows the lawn, while the bread is rising.
Adillo303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 06:44 AM   #10
I use it in many ways:

With potatos (cut in big chunks and fried) to make "potatos alioli"
To eat with fish, or veggies
To make a "garlic mousseline" that is very nice both in fish and meat..
you can just use it in every way you would use mayonnaise.

My Cooking.....
Nat2007 is offline   Reply With Quote