Alcohol unlocks flavor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PHYLAL

Assistant Cook
I have read several places that there are certain flavors that cannot be dissolved with water or fat (i.e. you cannot taste them), but will dissolve in alcohol rendering them available to your palate. My question is this:
Must alcohol remain in the dish to taste these flavors, or are the flavors locked away again after all (almost) the alcohol is cooked out of the dish?

If you are talking about something like vanilla extract, the amount of alcohol in any given dish will be virtually nonexistent.

If you have concerns due to religious beliefs or allergies, I don't have a good answer, other than to suggest you use fresh ingredients whenever possible rather than extracts.

Thank you. I am sorry, I did not make myself clear. I am not concerned about the alcohol content in the finished dish. I was concerned about whether the unique flavors unlocked due to the use of alcohol would again be lost (lock up) as the alcohol is cooked out of the dish, say during a long simmer process.

Thank you. I am sorry, I did not make myself clear. I am not concerned about the alcohol content in the finished dish. I was concerned about whether the unique flavors unlocked due to the use of alcohol would again be lost (lock up) as the alcohol is cooked out of the dish, say during a long simmer process.

I think the flavors would remain behind even after the alcohol is evaporated off. e.g. baked goods flavored with vanilla still have vanilla flavor after baking where a lot of the alcohol is cooked off.

I don't think vanilla requires alcohol to release flavor. Seems seeds and pod(s) do quite well in milk, custards and sugar.

I don't think vanilla requires alcohol to release flavor. Seems seeds and pod(s) do quite well in milk, custards and sugar.

Different flavor compounds are released in different ways - by fat, water, alcohol, the Maillard reaction, heat, and proximity ;) I'd guess that even within a given food or ingredient, using more methods results in more flavor.

Different flavor compounds are released in different ways - by fat, water, alcohol, the Maillard reaction, heat, and proximity ;) I'd guess that even within a given food or ingredient, using more methods results in more flavor.

I realize all that, but I'm thinking the alcohol in these extracts is more for preservation and ease of delivery. Not that alcohol allows more flavor extraction than some other means.

I realize all that, but I'm thinking the alcohol in these extracts is more for preservation and ease of delivery. Not that alcohol allows more flavor extraction than some other means.

I'm not saying alcohol allows more than others - I'm saying it pulls flavors out of foods that are different from those pulled out by other means. So if you use vanilla sugar but no alcohol, you won't get the wider variety of flavors you would get if you used both.

Note I'm using vanilla as an example. I don't know what specific foods have flavors that are enhanced by alcohol, although I'm pretty sure fond does ;)

Last edited:
Even in a long simmer you are still left with quite a bit of alcohol. The is always some amount of alcohol left no matter how long you cook it. So the question is really moot as it just won't ever happen in reality.

Was this a practical concern or more of just a theoretical concern? If practical, don't worry about it. If you are wondering just for the sake of wondering then I would say that once the flavors are released they would not disappear in the absence of any alcohol, but that is really just a guess on my part.

Vanilla is extracted from the pods/beans by soaking them in alcohol. The result is vanilla extract-strongly vanilla flavored alcohol. If you use this extract in a baked good, most of the alcohol will cook off but the flavor will remain.

Even in a long simmer you are still left with quite a bit of alcohol. The is always some amount of alcohol left no matter how long you cook it. So the question is really moot as it just won't ever happen in reality.

I've seen recipes for pan sauces that say to add 1/4 cup of wine to the pan and let it evaporate completely, or almost completely, before adding broth or other liquids. I think this scenario is the one the OP is asking about.

PHYLAL, I do think the flavors will be left behind. I think they're dissolved in the alcohol, like salt in a brine, and if you allow the water in a brine to evaporate, the salt remains.

And btw, welcome to DC :)

Last edited:
I've seen recipes for pan sauces that say to add 1/4 cup of wine to the pan and let it evaporate completely, or almost completely, before adding broth or other liquids. I think this scenario is the one the OP is asking about.
The OP said he/she was talking about a long simmering process, not a pan sauce where you let it all evaporate.

The OP said he/she was talking about a long simmering process, not a pan sauce where you let it all evaporate.

Not in the original question, but in a follow-up and it was as an example: "... I was concerned about whether the unique flavors unlocked due to the use of alcohol would again be lost (lock up) as the alcohol is cooked out of the dish, say during a long simmer process."

Whether or not all the alcohol evaporates, I think the flavors it releases would remain in the dish.

Not in the original question, but in a follow-up and it was as an example
I think it is pretty safe to assume that if the OP is clarifying their point with an example then that is what they are talking about. Otherwise why use that particular example?

In any case, I agree that the flavor is left behind.

You're right that flavor components that aren't released by water or oil can be dissolved by alcohol.

In cooking, wine, beer or liquor is added to food and then cooked.

Think wine or vodka in tomato sauce.

The alcohol does it's magic and makes the tomatoes taste much deeper. That is now in the cooking liquid. It is not lost as the alcohol itself is burned off.

And others are right, alcohol never totally burns off. And depending on what you are making and how you are making it, quite a bit could be left at the end.

Thank you all for the information (and a bit of humor), and jennyema, you nailed it, wine in tomato sauce.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom