Aluminum Cookware

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
I have been hearing it for 30 years. Don't cook acidic or alkali foods in aluminum as the corrosive effects of such foods will cause the aluminum to be absorbed into the food. One day, while camping, I was going to make scrambled eggs in the aluminum camp cookware I had, you know, the stuff that boy scouts use. Well, I know that aluminum sticks like crazy to scrambled eggs, so I tried a little experiment. I put some oil into the pan and placed in over the fire and let the oil season the pan, just like with cast iron. I did this a couple of times and found that my aluminum cookware became just as stick free, and impervious to acidic and alkali foods, just like my CI pans. And just like with CI, the more seasoning that goes onto the cooking surface, the more durable it becomes. So, if you have problems lifting CI pans, and don't want to use teflon, or other non-stick pans, you can simply purchase restaurant quality aluminum pans and season them, just as you would cast iron.

A tip from me to you.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Im sure that everything sticks like crazy because aluminum can't hold heat like cast iron. The sudden drop in temperature causes the food to stick.

Aluminum is also reactive with certain foods. Ive found that storing acidic foods with aluminum foil causes it to literally melt away after a few days. Ive experienced this with BBQ ribs and pot roast (both with acidic, tomato based sauces.)

Consider this as well.....

From healthcastle.com:

Aluminum has been found to adversely affect the reproductive and nervous systems in animal studies. Some human studies have also suggested a potential association between aluminum and Alzheimer's Disease. Although the health effects of aluminum on humans are not definitive, the Joint Food and Agriculture Organization/World Health Organization Expert Committee on Food Additives (JECFA) significantly lowered the tolerable intake in 2006 - from 7 mg/kg body weight to 1 mg/kg body weight per week.

Now where did it put that foil again??

Im sure that everything sticks like crazy because aluminum can't hold heat like cast iron. The sudden drop in temperature causes the food to stick.

Aluminum is also reactive with certain foods. Ive found that storing acidic foods with aluminum foil causes it to literally melt away after a few days. Ive experienced this with BBQ ribs and pot roast (both with acidic, tomato based sauces.)

From healthcastle.com:

Aluminum has been found to adversely affect the reproductive and nervous systems in animal studies. Some human studies have also suggested a potential association between aluminum and Alzheimer's Disease. Although the health effects of aluminum on humans are not definitive, the Joint Food and Agriculture Organization/World Health Organization Expert Committee on Food Additives (JECFA) significantly lowered the tolerable intake in 2006 - from 7 mg/kg body weight to 1 mg/kg body weight per week.

And that's the reason I season aluminum pans.:)

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Aluminum pans

Aluminum does make white sauces turn gray. I know this from experience. Essentially, aluminum is soft enough that while one is whisking, stirring, etc., some of the aluminum leaches into the sauce and turns it a dull gray. I've made tomato and other acidic based sauces in aluminum and it does produce a somewhat "different" taste to the food. This is why I prefer stainless steel clad pans both at home and in a professional kitchen.

This being said, I'll have to try the seasoning aluminum/egg experiment to see how it works as compared to a teflon pan, blue steel omelet pan, and a stainless steel clad pan.

...Ive found that storing acidic foods with aluminum foil causes it to literally melt away after a few days. Ive experienced this with BBQ ribs and pot roast (both with acidic, tomato based sauces.)

From healthcastle.com:

First of all, when you store acidic foods in a metal container with foil to cover (for example) the combination of two metals and acid creates a weak battery. The reaction consumes the aluminum in the creation of a mild electrical current. The simple cure is to not combine aluminum with other metals in the presence of acidic foods. The problem is not with the aluminum but the inappropriate combination.

Second, I always find suspect any medical or other claim that uses weasel words such as "suggest and potential". Besides your link discusses the Mediterranean diet not aluminum.

I recall Alzheimer's and aluminum scare of years ago was later debunked with a lot less press coverage that the original faulty claim.

Aluminium and Alzheimers

Andy M., You imply that there's no association between Alzheimers and Aluminium cookware. Could you give a reference for this claim?

Myth 4: Drinking out of aluminum cans or cooking in aluminum pots and pans can lead to Alzheimer’s disease.

Reality: During the 1960s and 1970s, aluminum emerged as a possible suspect in Alzheimer’s. This suspicion led to concern about exposure to aluminum through everyday sources such as pots and pans, beverage cans, antacids and antiperspirants. Since then, studies have failed to confirm any role for aluminum in causing Alzheimer’s. Experts today focus on other areas of research, and few believe that everyday sources of aluminum pose any threat.

Buy any quality restaurant aluminum pan and the label will tell you to season the pan. Most restaurants use aluminum pans for everything from tomato sauce to white sauce.

Buy any quality restaurant aluminum pan and the label will tell you to season the pan. Most restaurants use aluminum pans for everything from tomato sauce to white sauce.

My camp cookware didn't come with that instruction. Thank you for pointing that out.. I just tried seasoning the pan as an experiment, and it worked.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom