Any idea what this cooking term is?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

velochic

Sous Chef
I was watching the Top Chef Masters last night and they used a cooking term that I have never heard before. In fact, I have been to several online cooking dictionaries and it's not in there. I searched here. No mention.

The word is "Brandard". As in "Brandard of Scallop and Shrimp".

There was even a little debate among the judges. "That was a true brandard." "You think so? I wasn't so sure it was an actual brandard." Or some such discussion. It was the episode that Michael Chiarello won.

Does anyone have an idea what the heck a "Brandard" is? Through google, I get various menus with items such as "Brandard of Halibut", but nothing that tells me what it actually is.

It's driving me nuts! :-p

Brandade, a pureeof salt cod, here's wicki def.

Brandade is a puree of salt cod, olive oil and milk. Brandade is a specialty of the Languedoc and Provence regions of France, particularly Nîmes. Similar preparations are found in other Mediterranean countries such as Italy and Spain where dried salt cod is also enjoyed.[1]
Although brandade does not necessarily include garlic, in Marseilles and Toulon crushed garlic is added to the dish. Potato is also frequently added to brandade.
The word is derived from the Occitan verb brandar, meaning to stir.

It's like fishy mashed potatoes and is delish

You can find it served in most french bistros

heheheheheh:LOL: Jennyema, I was just about to say that for me it is the ultimate mashed potatoes. Although I realize some folks insist that potatoes don't belong in them. Everywhere in Provence I've been served them, they have been (basically) a potato /cod dish.

I made it twice last winter, and one time, ate the whole recipe myself!.:pig:

If anyone wants a great recipe, I'll be glad to post it.

heheheheheh:LOL: Jennyema, I was just about to say that for me it is the ultimate mashed potatoes. Although I realize some folks insist that potatoes don't belong in them. Everywhere in Provence I've been served them, they have been (basically) a potato /cod dish.

POST! Of course I will be the only one in the house to eat it but too bad so sad.

I had them without potatoes in Paris, but everywhere I have ordered them here they have used potatoes.

I have a hard time getting people to split an order with me :( I recall the brandade at Le Bonne Soupe on 55th street is quite good.

ChefJune - Sorry if I offended, as that was not what I was trying to do. As far as I know, your recipe may be something I'd really like. I was just trying to get my mind around "mashed fish".

And if you don't mind, the name is Bob... not Bob1.

Bob

This reminds me of an episode of my main man Guy Fieri's DDD,

There was one shop he visited where they made a salt cod sandwich. when you mention
Brandade, you almost always mean a salt cod puree... it was a pure joy to watch the chef make the sandwich for guy to taste. I've never wanted to sample blended fish so much in my life. :P

Hey, I used to eat fish sticks. I swear some of those seemed to be pureed before being battered! :-p

Hey, I used to eat fish sticks. I swear some of those seemed to be pureed before being battered! :-p

fish sticks are the devil!

I just bought some "catfsih nuggets" from my local market. they sell them under that label because they are the cutoffs from the fileting process, but are still good eats. so they sell them around 2.50 a pound, and on sale I bought about two pounds for 4 dollars. I flour dredge them, egg/buttermilk solution dip them, then dredge them in panko. After that, its into the deep fryer for the best deep fried fish I could ever wish to make. Its perfect for filling when making fish tacos, which is primarily what I use the nuggets for.

I'm a cheap shopper who looks for quality at all times. My market just doesn't see the value in the cutoffs they sell dirt cheap. :)

Back
Top Bottom