Any tips for making bread crumbs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A food processor is ideal for bread crumbs - I've tried bashing it, smashing it in a zip lock bag with my meat mallet, a blender, and then (when I finally had one) my moderately large food processor... the food processor is the ideal choice, especially if you want it fine and it is already pretty hard. It's the only way to get it smooth. You can get even a SMALL food processor (in fact, I find that better, especially one without curved sides) and get a more even chop. Food processors beat blenders in this, because there is more surface area for the blade to reach the crumbs and mix them up. Small food processors are NOT expensive and are immensely useful, and easier to clean up than large ones anyway. They are very useful, and while as a chef hobbyist I have often tended to use my knife over a processor (at first, for experience, and eventually it actually becomes both faster and less cleanup, as well as more precise), there are times when a processor is just essential. For example, take chopped to minced garlic- you can do large amounts ten times as fast unless you're a living machine with a knife! :)

My blender also does a great job for bread crumbs.

Skittle I've revived a rock hard french bread by running it under the faucet so that it's good and wet, and then wrapping it tight in foil and sticking it in the oven for about 20 minutes. Works for me every time. ;)
Worth a try.
Works like a charm. Was my dad's way of saving bread.
kades

Food processer controls the grind very well.
I saw a Jacques show where he did a comparison demo with fresh bread V. dried and the volume for the same amount of bread was by far with fresh crumbs. Dry them afterwards with herbs or other desired flavors.

Making Bread Crumbs

My blender gave up the ghost and I decided to replace it with a Magic Bullet. Easier to store and doesn't sprain my back getting it out of the cupboard! I am pleased to say it works just great for making bread crumbs and lots of other things, too.

Back
Top Bottom