Attempt at homemade garlic powder.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Timothy

Head Chef
A quick story to let you all know what *doesn't* work.

I put some chopped garlic into my dehydrator until it was completely dry. About a cup of it while it was wet.

After drying it, I placed it into my food processor and turned it on. The processor uses a stainless steel blade that is very sharp.

The garlic laughed.

It was unfazed by the FP. I mean 99% of it didn't do anything but dent the blades! I was astounded!

I then got inspired! I was NOT going to let garlic whoop me.

I put some on my workshop steel plate and smacked it with a hammer. I'm talking a good smack!

The garlic laughed.

Again, my efforts didn't do a thing. The stuff was like diamonds. I couldn't believe it.

I threw the whole thing in the trash.

I heard another muffled laugh after the trash can lid shut.

Who would know?

My next effort was with a garlic puree. I processed that stuff until it was paste. That worked. The dried paste then converted to powder after being dashed about in the FP. It was MUCH stronger than store bought powder.

I laughed at the garlic.

Dented the blades? Oh my. I wonder if a coffee grinder would have worked or if the garlic would have laughed at it too. At least you found a way to make it and that actually sounds pretty cool. Some day when I have a dehydrator I'll have to try it.

OTF! I had a similar debacle recently when I tried making pumpkin seed butter, recipe said be patient it takes a while. I waited so long the motor in my food processor gave in :(
Had that processor for only 10yrs..lol! Will have to save for a new one, it was a 5 in one function machine, expensive :(

I wonder if a burr type grinder would have worked.
Perhaps! Of course, it might have ruined the grinder too. When I looked at the blades afterward, I couldn't believe the garlic had actually dented the blades. Outrageous! I was thinking along the lines of an explosion maybe...but then I wouldn't be able to find the garlic again! It made me wonder what an entire clove would be like after dehydrating it. I could use it in a sling-shot to hunt with! Maybe make bullets of it! You could shoot a wild hog and season it at the same time! :rolleyes:

I think they freeze dry the garlic before grinding - and it could be ground under cryogenic conditions.....

which would account for the stronger aromatics of the pureed version - freeze drying would remove volatile compounds as a side effect.

Perhaps! Of course, it might have ruined the grinder too. When I looked at the blades afterward, I couldn't believe the garlic had actually dented the blades. Outrageous! I was thinking along the lines of an explosion maybe...but then I wouldn't be able to find the garlic again! It made me wonder what an entire clove would be like after dehydrating it. I could use it in a sling-shot to hunt with! Maybe make bullets of it! You could shoot a wild hog and season it at the same time! :rolleyes:

:ROFLMAO: When all else fails, blow it up or use it as ammo! :ROFLMAO:

Belt sander and a Dremel might help. LOL! Good ammo for coons or ground squirrels.

Last edited:

Vampire bullets...

My dad makes it all the time
Dries it in the dehydrated but he brought a blender not a food processer,
for his herbs and etc. works without any problems. You should smell the house when he is on a roll, He grinds his own horseradish, Mother kick him to the backyard when he does that.
He has made cayenne pepper, other hot pepper mixes, garlic and onion powder,

Back
Top Bottom