Bacon Salt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Addie

Chef Extraordinaire
We were looking through the weekly flyer for Stop and Shop. They have "Bacon Salt" on sale. Anyone know what the heck that is? Anyone even hear of it before? Sounds like to me it is a salt you put on bacon. Really? Would anyone put salt on their bacon? Hmmm! :angel:

Bacon salt is bacon-flavored salt. You can add it to popcorn or whatever.

Don't know about it, but I have made lemon, lime, and mushrrom salts by drying the zest/mushrooms. Guessing if you cooked the bacon, ground it with coarse salt, you'd have bacon salt. I would cook the bacon and then dehydrate it, test to see it was dry, and theen pulse it with coarse salt...petzels, bagels, oh what a finishing salt!

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. I can now see. Using it on a baked potato, and any food you would normally add bacon to. I thought it may mean salt for bacon. And I knew that didn't make much sense. :angel:

I love seasoning salts - kill two birds with one shake. I have the standard like garlic and onion salts, but I have some others too.

I have one from Savory Spice Shop called County Clare Seasoning Salt that is fabulous on vegetables. Another one from Savory is Cantanzaro Herbs Seasoning Salt which is great on a lot of things from eggs to chicken to steak.

Then I have Ghost Pepper Salt from High Plains Spice Shop which is very spicy. Also had Habeñero salt but used that up and haven't needed to replace until the GP salt gets low.

I love seasoning salts - kill two birds with one shake. I have the standard like garlic and onion salts, but I have some others too.

I have one from Savory Spice Shop called County Clare Seasoning Salt that is fabulous on vegetables. Another one from Savory is Cantanzaro Herbs Seasoning Salt which is great on a lot of things from eggs to chicken to steak.

Then I have Ghost Pepper Salt from High Plains Spice Shop which is very spicy. Also had Habeñero salt but used that up and haven't needed to replace until the GP salt gets low.

And I am just the opposite. I like to control the amount of salt I take in. Then if I read the ingredients, salt is always listed first. And why shouldn't it be. After all it is a lot cheaper than any other items in the jar. But I think what irritates me the most is that they are all min=named. Garlic Salt should read Salt Garlic or Salt and Garlic Powder. Every other food always list the least amount of any ingredient last. It is just one of my peculiarities. :angel:

And I am just the opposite. I like to control the amount of salt I take in. Then if I read the ingredients, salt is always listed first. And why shouldn't it be. After all it is a lot cheaper than any other items in the jar. But I think what irritates me the most is that they are all min=named. Garlic Salt should read Salt Garlic or Salt and Garlic Powder. Every other food always list the least amount of any ingredient last. It is just one of my peculiarities. :angel:

I don't have any problem still controlling the amount of salt. I use the seasoning that I want, then taste and if it needs more salt, I add it. I've never used a seasoning salt that made a dish too salty before it was seasoned properly. I usually still have to add a little more salt to get it right.

I don't have any problem still controlling the amount of salt. I use the seasoning that I want, then taste and if it needs more salt, I add it. I've never used a seasoning salt that made a dish too salty before it was seasoned properly. I usually still have to add a little more salt to get it right.

Same here. Addie, I don't get why you think you can't control the salt with flavored salt.

Yeah, that's true, we can't get perfect without original sault, have to use a mixture of both some time. I have used it on everything from chicken to french fries to sandwiches. Definitely recommend!

Same here. Addie, I don't get why you think you can't control the salt with flavored salt.

My issue with flavored salts is that the salt to garlic ratio (for example) is fixed. If you like a lot of garlic, you may have added more salt than you like. on the other hand, garlic powder used alone and salt used alone are independent. So if I'm a garlic fanatic who doesn't want a lot of salt in food, I'm all set.

Back
Top Bottom