Bakeware and oven temp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just bought a nice, heavy weight Chicago Metallic 9X9 non-stick baking pan. The directions state to set oven temperature 25 degrees lower than specified in recipe. I am afraid to do this. I plan to make shortbread and recipe is 325. That would mean I would set it for 300. I not sure that will work. Any suggestions??
Thanks

The reason for the lower temperature is because the darker color of your pan will absorb more heat than a lighter colored pan, causing the product to overcook around the edges before it's done in the middle.

My suggestion is to do it and judge for yourself.

I'm puzzled over why degrees are always in 25 degree increments. I may try to bake it at 310. Would that work?

Maybe because extensive testing at the factory indicated that's the best way to get top performance out of their products.

I have no idea if 310F would work. What's your aversion to doing what the instructions tell you to do?

Because I'm skeptical- I'm not sure they do "extensive" testing, plus history of recipes not turning out making them exactly as recipe says. 300 just seems too low to bake anything!! But I guess I'll try it at 300. Then I can say "I told you so" LOL

Well, I can't say anything about the extensiveness of the testing done by that one company - but I do know that extensive testing has been done in the food industry and dark pans do absorb more heat and need a 25°F cooler oven. The same would be true if you were using a glass baking pan. Andy gave you sage advice.

Last edited:
The only question I would have if the original recipe calls for using light color pan or a dark one?

Very good point, Charlie! What kind of pan did the recipe say to use. If it called for a 9x9 glass baking dish - then you wouldn't need to make any changes in the oven temp using the new dark pan.

This is a problem with some baking recipes - they don't say what pan their recipe used.

I made my recipe this afternoon. It was from a catalog I get, Cooking Enthusiast. It was for Millionaire's Shortbread and did not specify what size of pan other than to say a "shortbread pan", which I do not have. I used my 8X8 pan because some internet site said that was the size of a shortbread pan. I cooked it at 300 (recipe said 325) for 18 min (recipe said 18-20) and not much was happening. I turned it up to 325 and had to cook it 8 more minutes.

AHA! This is a shortcake pan:

419ir8mXDSL._SS400_.jpg

If you used a square 8x8 pan then you have to expect that it would take longer to bake - you would have to use cake pan times instead of the shortcake pan times. For a standard dull aluminum 8x8x2 inch cake pan with 4 cups of batter the baking temp would be 350°F for 35-40 minutes.

Shortbread pans mostly appear to be either cast aluminum or ceramic with decorative patterns. Chicago Metallic offers a cast aluminum one.

Directions to reduce the oven temperature by 25 F for a non-stick pan were, no doubt, in comparison to a similar sized light colored sheet aluminum pan.

Cast alum. and ceramic pans would have different heat transfer characteristics more like your non-stick pan than a thinner sheet aluminum pan.

Back
Top Bottom