baking and roasting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

2wicky

Assistant Cook
I'm very new to cooking. What's the difference between baking, roasting, and broiling? Also, is broiling only done in the very bottom drawer of the oven?

Last edited:
There's often no real difference between baking and roasting, except as to how the terms are used. Both refer to cooking with dry heat that is indirect -- that is, the food is not directly exposed to the heat source; rather, the air in the oven is heated by a flame or electric element to the desired temperature and allowed to circulate around the food.

Baking usually refers to breads, cookies, cakes, and so forth, but also to containers of food (e.g., you bake a casserole or a chicken).

Roasting in an oven usually refers to meats and poultry, sometimes implying a higher temperature than baking -- but the differences are pretty vague and vary depending on the speaker.

Roasting may also refer to cooking in other ways, such as on a spit over an open fire. Again, the meaning depends on the speaker.

Broiling in an oven is cooking directly under the heat source. Most ovens have a separate heating element on the top, inside the oven, for broiling (the regular heating element is usually under the oven cavity). The meat being broiled is placed under this top heating element, usually very close to it, and the heat is usually very intense. The results are similar to grilling -- which also is sometimes referred to as broiling.

Last edited:
thanks for the help. So the broiler, is it the drawer under the oven? My family just keeps pots in there and we don't use it for anything else. Doesnt look like something that was meant to cook in but someone told me I can

IT depends on the stove. Look in the main oven. If there is a heating element on the top of the oven, that's the broiler. Pull out the drawer under the oven. There should be a broiler pan and a heating element at the top of the drawer if the broiler is under the oven.

In older stoves, the broiler was in a drawer under the oven. Now the broiler is in the oven compartment. This extra heating element in the oven is how the self cleaning feature works. The broiler element (along with the oven element at the bottom of the oven) gets the oven up to around 900 F to clean the oven.

Yes, the broiler is often in a drawer under the oven in gas stoves, which allows the same burner to be used for both the oven and the broiler.

I was thinking about my current oven, which is electric. Brain was in low gear -- sorry about that.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom