"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Terms & Techniques

Old 09-30-2007, 09:02 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Baking soda & baking powder

when do u use baking soda or baking powder?
i've seen some recipe which uses both...

Old 09-30-2007, 12:16 PM   #2
Master Chef

I prefer baking soda, excepet, when I cannot use vinegar.

Old 09-30-2007, 12:19 PM   #3
Senior Cook

you can use baking powder in lieu of baking soda but not vice versa.

both are levening agents. baking soda is sodium bicarbonate and requires the use of an acid for it to react. baking powder contains baking soda and an acid agent, so you don't need to add anything additional for it to have a levening effect.

i don't know why some recipes call for both.

healthyfoodie
healthyfoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 05:37 PM   #4
Master Chef

I got curious about all this a couple of years ago since both are chemical levening agents - so I did a little research.

Baking soda (an alkali) needs an acid to react with to produce carbon-dioxide bubbles - something like buttermilk, lemon juice, mollasses, etc. The chemical reaction begins at room temp as soon as the wet and dry ingredients are mixed together. It gives you one rise.

Baking powder containes both an alkali and an acid - so it can be used in recipes that don't include an acid. Like baking soda - the chemical reaction begins as soon as the wet and dry ingredients, Double Acting Baking Powder (the kind most commonly found in the store) has 2 alkili/acids - one that reacts at room temp and another that doesn't begin until heated - so you get a double rise.

If a batter is too acidic then not all of the acids in the baking powder will react and can leave a bitter taste. So, the baking powder is reduced slightly and baking soda is added - the baking soda to react with the extra acid.