Basic Brine Recipe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chave982

Senior Cook
Ok so I've read that to make a basic brine (salt and water), you mix one tablespoon of salt per one cup of water. But what kind of salt is that referring to?

If it means kosher salt, then I'd have to halve the amount of salt if I was using pickling salt/table salt. If it means table salt, I'd have to double it for kosher.

Any ideas? Thanks!

The amount do not need to be exact. I actually never measure the salt in my brine. I go by taste. The water should taste a little less salty than ocean water IMO. If you took a sip out should not want to spit it out because it is so salty. It shoudl be pleasantly salty.

You can use any salt you like. Finer salts will disolve in the cold water easier, but I use kosher because that is what I have handy and it disolves just fine.

I'd go with kosher salt for that ratio. I wouldn't use table salt at all. Your best bet is to go by weight for other types of salt. The grain size varies too much to go by volume.

Ok so I've read that to make a basic brine (salt and water), you mix one tablespoon of salt per one cup of water. But what kind of salt is that referring to?

If it means kosher salt, then I'd have to halve the amount of salt if I was using pickling salt/table salt. If it means table salt, I'd have to double it for kosher.

Any ideas? Thanks!

1 cup to 1 gallon of water is for kosher salt. Use less salt if you use table salt. I'd suggest adding some sugar or other sweetner, too. It helps balance the salt and bring out the savory flavor of the food.

Back
Top Bottom