beef tenderloin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HappyAvocado

Senior Cook
hi! oh my goodness its been a long time since i have been here. :) im sure that nobody remembers me, thats ok. ive been too busy to read about food as we have opened our own busy lunch restaurant.:chef: but now i have an ingredient that i am fairly unfamiliar with that i need help with!

i have a peeled 9 lb beef tenderloin that i need to cook for christmas dinner. im considering just grilling the thing because that's where im most comfortable when it comes to big hunks of meat but id rather spend time indoors with the family rather than out in the cold on christmas day.

what is the best way to cook this thing indoors?

also.... a sauce? gravy? i have a few quarts of fantastic homemade beef stock.

help please! and thank you!:mrgreen:

-avocado

I'm doing one as well. First, trim off all the silverskin. Tie the roast at 2" intervals to pull the roast into a rounde shape for even cooking. You may want to fold the tail end in before you tie it. If you don't, The thin end will be overcooked by the time the thick end is done. Coat it with oil, salt and pepper. Place in a 400º F oven and roast to an internal temperature of About 125º F. Rest for 20 minutes before slicing.

Welcome back HappyAvocado!

How about rubbing the tenderloin with seasonings of your liking, salt & pepper, and butter or olive oil. Sear in in a cast iron pan and finish roasting in a hot oven. While roast is resting, you can make a gravy with the drippings, some shallots, and your homemade beef stock.

I am sure you'll get lots of other ideas.

Another option is to make Béarnaise sauce for the tenderloin. If you're not up to making it from scratch (it's not that hard) buy a packet of Knorr and make that.

thank you! its big for a frying pan though, i was wondering about the sear...

Béarnaise sounds fantastic but im dealing with allergies in the family :(

Last edited:
I'd do it like Andy suggested. Be sure to use a meat thermometer, but I'd take it out at 120 to rest for 20 minutes before slicing. It would be a shame to overcook such a spectacular piece of meat. If someone wants it cooked more, their slice can be easily nuked.

BTW, welcome back, and I LOVE that avitar.

kayelle thats what im scared of! i usually do a turkey, ive perfected that but im bored of turkey. this piece of meat is beautiful!!! i keep on opening the fridge to admire it. i would hate to ruin it. i might even buy a brand new thermometer to be safe.

For what that piece of meat cost you, I'd sure get a really reliable thermometer. Tent the meat with foil while it rests for the 20 minutes. I would serve Au Jus with it. I personally would also serve twice baked potatoes made ahead........they can go in the oven for 20 min. while the roast is resting.

my mom is making mashed potatoes, i delegated this year. that way i can concentrate on this meat, and the pies.

thanks for the help! ive been meaning to invest in a good meat thermometer, mine has to be thirty years old by now!!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom