Bell Peppers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

junette

Assistant Cook
I make pepper jam. The recipe I use calls for bell peppers. Bell peppers are very expensive and this week there is a sale 10 for $4 and I'd like to buy some for later use. Can I process them (blender) and freeze the mixture and if so, will it still have the pectin needed for the jam process? My recipe calls for 2-2/3 cups of pureed bell peppers...can I freeze in zip lock bags just that amount in several bags and will that work for jam after freezing?
I contacted Ball Jars and they said seeing as how they've never tested that in their kitchen, they can't tell me if it would work or not so I'm back to square one.
Thank you.

Make and can several recipes of pepper jam to take advantage of the sale! We have a grocery that constantly puts red, yellow and orange bells on sale for .89 to .99 per pound. I don't think the texture would be good after freezing.

I think you will be ok. I haven't done it, but I have used frozen fruit in jams and jellies, and it worked fine.

Peppers can be frozen whole (I take the tops off and deseed), as well--they lose their crunch, but they are still good for cooked recipes. I have several bags in the deep freeze from the garden.

Thank you....but the texture wouldn't be a problem because I puree them anyway. I was wondering if I'd lose any natural pectin. I received an answer from someone else saying she freezes things like that all the time and it works so I'm going to go for it. Thank you so much for your reply.

Thank you....but the texture wouldn't be a problem because I puree them anyway. I was wondering if I'd lose any natural pectin. I received an answer from someone else saying she freezes things like that all the time and it works so I'm going to go for it. Thank you so much for your reply.

Ah, probably fine then. Jam to me means actual pieces of fruit/veg, like strawberry jam. Thus my concern for texture. When I make my brother's pepper jelly, there are bits of jalapeno and red bell.

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f94/lee-clarks-pepper-jelly-81999.html

Freezing Bell Peppers

Well, nothing lost, everything gained. I froze the ground up bell peppers so I could make my habanero jams and it worked perfectly. Just thought I'd let everyone know.:chef:

I make hot pepper jelly all the time and never seen one that doesn't call for the addition of either liquid pectin or apples for their pectin content.

I use frozen or fresh hot peppers and fresh red peppers. In the recipe I use the red peppers are used for volume and color and not for their pectin.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom