Bell peppers and knife techniques

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I concur with IC, I cut around the top and pop the top and then hit the pepper to get the few seeds that feel off the bunch.

then pop the bottom.

alot of times ill leave the membrane and ditch the ribs. I dont mind the membrane at all.

working at a resturant ill do what ever they want. no biggie to me.

I concur with IC, I cut around the top and pop the top and then hit the pepper to get the few seeds that feel off the bunch.

then pop the bottom.

alot of times ill leave the membrane and ditch the ribs. I dont mind the membrane at all.

working at a resturant ill do what ever they want. no biggie to me.

IC said he cut the top and bottom off, and his description sounds like he cuts it like shown in the vid.
What is popping the top and bottom Ghetto? You said you slice around the top and pop it. And go on to say you pop the bottom. What is that?

Thanks

i guess its hard to explain.

but I cut the top of the pepper around the whole pepper up top. but dont cut into the seeds. then i pop out the seed bunch with my hands and toss in the trash.

then ill slice off the bottom and have a opened on top and bottom pepper. now depending on what im doing with it ill either slice it as is and make liek a ring or cut it in half and then take out the membrane and julienne.
ill take pics this week (i hope)

So if you cut around the top you can lift the seeds out when you remove the top?
One way to find out I guess (lol). I need to pick up some peppers today for some chili.

I cut up a couple peppers a few days ago.
The first pepper I cut as I explained I saw Emeril cut one, slicing vertically from the top to the bottom, but instead of making just four cuts, I probably made six. After the first cut I was able to see inside the pepper and guide the blade along the curve of the pepper. It worked very well and left relatively flat pieces for easy chopping.
Then I cut the pepper like GB said he did his (and IC) and was in that vid. By cutting the top and bottom off, making a slit, rolling the pepper out and "filleting" the seeds and veins out. That was a bit harder to do, due to the manipulating needed with your other hand to hold the pepper from curling back up. And the stem does pop right out to easily utilize the top. Both methods worked well, but I preferred the first method.

My Santoku knife is my favorite and makes cutting up peppers a quick and easy chore. I have been complimented on my knife skills before but I really don't get it. Maybe its because I look comfortable slicing and dicing.

I cut up a couple peppers a few days ago.
The first pepper I cut as I explained I saw Emeril cut one, slicing vertically from the top to the bottom, but instead of making just four cuts, I probably made six. After the first cut I was able to see inside the pepper and guide the blade along the curve of the pepper. It worked very well and left relatively flat pieces for easy chopping.
Then I cut the pepper like GB said he did his (and IC) and was in that vid. By cutting the top and bottom off, making a slit, rolling the pepper out and "filleting" the seeds and veins out. That was a bit harder to do, due to the manipulating needed with your other hand to hold the pepper from curling back up. And the stem does pop right out to easily utilize the top. Both methods worked well, but I preferred the first method.

Keep in mind the end result is the focus - minced, diced or jullienned peppers. How you do it is secondary. I do it a different way each time based on my mood at the time.

Definitely, Andy. My goal was to find a more efficient way rather than rinsing seeds and scraping veins out, like how I previously cut up the peppers. And that was acheived with the two methods discussed here. And it's a bit more fun to boot!

I don't know about turning potatoes into a block though... that's a lot of waste.

The thing I like about homemade fries is the uneven shapes and that some are crispier. Next time I dice potatoes though, I'm going to try the method/vid Buzz posted, where you leave the slices stacked.

ok ive been meaning to uplaod these.

pic 1. cut around the top but not threw

pic2 "popping the top" it should pop off in 2 pieces.

pic 3 the view after the top is popped

pic 4 pulling out of the seed core and interior ribs

pic 5 patting the bottom to get the few seeds thatm ight have fallen.

Attachments

• pepper1.jpg
    pepper1.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 186
  • pepper2.jpg
    pepper2.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 182
  • pepper3.jpg
    pepper3.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 167
  • pepper4.jpg
    pepper4.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 171
  • pepper5.jpg
    pepper5.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 176
ok ive been meaning to uplaod these.

pic 1. cut around the top but not threw

pic2 "popping the top" it should pop off in 2 pieces.

pic 3 the view after the top is popped

pic 4 pulling out of the seed core and interior ribs

pic 5 patting the bottom to get the few seeds thatm ight have fallen.

This is a good technique to use, especially if you're going to stuff them as you get very little waste.

Thanks IC, I pride my self on little waste. One thing from Culinary school that really got into me.

The only waste is the seeds really. that goes into my mini compost hole in the garden.

Thanks IC, I pride my self on little waste. One thing from Culinary school that really got into me.

The only waste is the seeds really. that goes into my mini compost hole in the garden.

I guess the only thing that would be hard is if you wanted to serve the tops, but you can use the same technique and make your cut further down the pepper.

I cut off the top of the pepper, pop the stem out. Cut the part I cut off in tow pieces. One goes to Bear and one goes to Liam (Chocolate & Black Labs). I cut the bottom off and that goes to me. We all love raww bell pepper.

I then take my 8" Henkles and go around the inside and clean out the membrain and centers. Lay it on one of the ends cut in tow and then slice as thin as you want. Turn sideways and go for the dice, if that is what you are after.

Don't know if that is the "proper way" or not, but Bear, Liam and I love it and we are also getting nutrition that is good for us.

AC

Thanks Ghetto. I wasn't picturing the stem staying with the pepper after the top was popped, and being able to neatly drag the insides out.
Very good illustration.

Four pages on how to cut a Bell pepper? Too funny!!

I just slice them in half lengthwise, stem & all. Then just scoop out the seeds & ribs, which takes about a nanosecond. If I'm stuffing them, that's how I leave them. Have found that stuffing them lengthwise is SO much easier to do, as well as SO much easier to eat, then doing them upright. If I'm slicing &/or chopping them, I just take it from there. Thank God no rocket science necessary, since I'd never pass the exams - lol!!

Back
Top Bottom