"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Terms & Techniques

Old 11-18-2008, 03:45 PM   #21
Sous Chef

I concur with IC, I cut around the top and pop the top and then hit the pepper to get the few seeds that feel off the bunch.

then pop the bottom.

alot of times ill leave the membrane and ditch the ribs. I dont mind the membrane at all.

working at a resturant ill do what ever they want. no biggie to me.

Old 11-18-2008, 04:17 PM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhettoRacingKid View Post
I concur with IC, I cut around the top and pop the top and then hit the pepper to get the few seeds that feel off the bunch.

then pop the bottom.

alot of times ill leave the membrane and ditch the ribs. I dont mind the membrane at all.

working at a resturant ill do what ever they want. no biggie to me.
IC said he cut the top and bottom off, and his description sounds like he cuts it like shown in the vid.
What is popping the top and bottom Ghetto? You said you slice around the top and pop it. And go on to say you pop the bottom. What is that?

Thanks

Old 11-19-2008, 07:58 AM   #23
Sous Chef

i guess its hard to explain.

but I cut the top of the pepper around the whole pepper up top. but dont cut into the seeds. then i pop out the seed bunch with my hands and toss in the trash.

then ill slice off the bottom and have a opened on top and bottom pepper. now depending on what im doing with it ill either slice it as is and make liek a ring or cut it in half and then take out the membrane and julienne.
ill take pics this week (i hope)
Old 11-19-2008, 09:46 AM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

So if you cut around the top you can lift the seeds out when you remove the top?
One way to find out I guess (lol). I need to pick up some peppers today for some chili.
Old 11-24-2008, 08:15 AM   #25
Sous Chef

I got the pics but I cant upload them here at work.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:05 AM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

I cut up a couple peppers a few days ago.
The first pepper I cut as I explained I saw Emeril cut one, slicing vertically from the top to the bottom, but instead of making just four cuts, I probably made six. After the first cut I was able to see inside the pepper and guide the blade along the curve of the pepper. It worked very well and left relatively flat pieces for easy chopping.
Then I cut the pepper like GB said he did his (and IC) and was in that vid. By cutting the top and bottom off, making a slit, rolling the pepper out and "filleting" the seeds and veins out. That was a bit harder to do, due to the manipulating needed with your other hand to hold the pepper from curling back up. And the stem does pop right out to easily utilize the top. Both methods worked well, but I preferred the first method.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:18 AM   #27
Sous Chef

My Santoku knife is my favorite and makes cutting up peppers a quick and easy chore. I have been complimented on my knife skills before but I really don't get it. Maybe its because I look comfortable slicing and dicing.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:44 AM   #28
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
I cut up a couple peppers a few days ago.
The first pepper I cut as I explained I saw Emeril cut one, slicing vertically from the top to the bottom, but instead of making just four cuts, I probably made six. After the first cut I was able to see inside the pepper and guide the blade along the curve of the pepper. It worked very well and left relatively flat pieces for easy chopping.
Then I cut the pepper like GB said he did his (and IC) and was in that vid. By cutting the top and bottom off, making a slit, rolling the pepper out and "filleting" the seeds and veins out. That was a bit harder to do, due to the manipulating needed with your other hand to hold the pepper from curling back up. And the stem does pop right out to easily utilize the top. Both methods worked well, but I preferred the first method.

Keep in mind the end result is the focus - minced, diced or jullienned peppers. How you do it is secondary. I do it a different way each time based on my mood at the time.
Old 11-24-2008, 11:30 AM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

Definitely, Andy. My goal was to find a more efficient way rather than rinsing seeds and scraping veins out, like how I previously cut up the peppers. And that was acheived with the two methods discussed here. And it's a bit more fun to boot!

I don't know about turning potatoes into a block though... that's a lot of waste.
Old 11-24-2008, 11:34 AM   #30
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
...I don't know about turning potatoes into a block though... that's a lot of waste.
I don't bother with that unless I'm making french fries. For FF they cook more evenly if they are all the same size.