"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Terms & Techniques

Old 11-26-2011, 03:17 PM   #11
Assistant Cook

Josie1945, thanks, I would be pleased to pass along my Hungarian dishes.

Old 11-26-2011, 05:53 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Welcome to DC! I am looking forward to your Hungarian recipes! I love Hungarian food.

Old 11-26-2011, 06:36 PM   #13
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Great tip! I chopped the onion and celery for my daughter's dressing this year. I went ahead and chopped enough for Christmas as well, and froze both of them.

I also chop and freeze bell peppers to use later in Spanish Rice and other dishes.
Old 11-26-2011, 07:05 PM   #14
Senior Cook

Great tip. Especially in the spring time when the Vidalias are in the stores around here. Ill be buyin em up and I'll be able to get my fix in february. Thanks
Old 11-26-2011, 07:31 PM   #15
Assistant Cook

Hi CWS4322, I'm pleased you enjoy Hungarian food. If you have something in particular you favour, I'd be happy to give you a recipe.
Old 11-26-2011, 07:34 PM   #16
Assistant Cook

Hey JoshuaNY. Another fan of the magnificent Vidalias! Funnily enough, I have never thought to chop and freeze these beauties for winter use. Thanks so much. Isn't great to learn from each other.
Old 11-26-2011, 07:41 PM   #17
Assistant Cook

Hi Barbar L. Good idea about the peppers, I do that sort of thing too. I also make Hungarian stuffed peppers, mostly in the cooler seasons, and to make the job easier and more economical, I buy a half bushel each of red, yellow and orange at our local farmers' market when they are in abundance in the late summer. I wash and core them, being careful not to poke a hole in the uncut end, and let them dry on tea towels. Then I freeqe them in large ziplocks so we can eat stuffed peppers anytime. I guess I should mention in Hungarian cooking when we make stuffed peppers we make a dutch oven sized pot full!
Old 11-28-2011, 01:54 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Toni View Post
Hi CWS4322, I'm pleased you enjoy Hungarian food. If you have something in particular you favour, I'd be happy to give you a recipe.
I don't recall the name of them--but buns that are stuffed with meat, they are sometimes fried, sometimes baked in the oven. I can't seem to get the dough right...do you know what I mean? Anything with Hungarian paprika...and always looking for new perogie filling ideas!
Old 11-28-2011, 02:49 PM   #19
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
I don't recall the name of them--but buns that are stuffed with meat, they are sometimes fried, sometimes baked in the oven. I can't seem to get the dough right...do you know what I mean? Anything with Hungarian paprika...and always looking for new perogie filling ideas!
Are they like Beirocks? Cabbage and meat? If so, I use a sweetened roll dough.
Old 11-28-2011, 04:33 PM   #20
Assistant Cook

CWS4322, hi. You know, I figured my knowledge of Hungarian recipes was pretty extensive since my Mother's family and my Father's family were from different parts of Hungary so the various regional dishes was broad, but you've stumped me. I have never seen anything like you describe. Because you also mention about perogie fillings, I am wondering if the bun/meat combination is Hungarian as perogies are not. However, we do have a similar food we make but it is usually stuffed with a slightly sweet tasting dill and cottage cheese. As far as Hungarian paprika dishes, I'm almost tempted to say, "what isn't made with this key ingredient in Hungarian cooking?" If you are a pork eater I'll pass along a recipe for a stew using paprika.