Beurre Manie as a resting medium and when to pull a steak from the fire.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adelphi

Assistant Cook
I was reading Keller's French Laundry and one of Ruhlman's books, and they were talking about beurre manie as a resting medium. Anyone have any experience on this?

Also, what temp am I supposed to rest the steak if I want it a certain temp? How much should I give to carry-over cooking?

Thanks guys :)

Beurre manie is a kneaded butter, I am not sure how it relates to steaks...or as a resting medium?

As for carry over cooking, it all depends on the cut, and size of the cut.

Beurre Manie is butter kneaded with flour and is used as a thickener for cooking liquids such as soups or stews. Not sure how it relates to a resting medium.

Rest cooked meats at room temperature. Smaller cuts such as steaks and chops generally will carry over around 5 F. Larger cuts such as roasts will carry over 10-15 F.

I was reading Keller's French Laundry and one of Ruhlman's books, and they were talking about beurre manie as a resting medium. Anyone have any experience on this?

Also, what temp am I supposed to rest the steak if I want it a certain temp? How much should I give to carry-over cooking?

Thanks guys :)

You mean a beurre monté, not a beurre manie....

A beurre monté is butter that has been melted down and emulsified using a small amount of water (like making a beurre blanc), and kept warm so that it doesn't break. I use this method to poach lobster, but I've never tried his technique of resting meats in it. My guess is that you would want it at around 120-125 degrees.

Ugh, yeah, monte, not manie. Don't know what I was thinking.

So it's like a beurre blanc w/o the vinegar, shallots etc.?

that makes sense now. As for holding, I am still leery. I mean, I finish my steaks with compound butter, but holding seems like it would make for on uber "greasy" steak.

Ugh, yeah, monte, not manie. Don't know what I was thinking.

So it's like a beurre blanc w/o the vinegar, shallots etc.?

As far as technique goes. You're not making a reduction, but you're basically heating about 1 Tbsp. of straight tap water. Whisk in the butter over low heat as you would when making a beurre blanc. Just don't let the liquid come to a boil or get too hot or else it will break.

that makes sense now. As for holding, I am still leery. I mean, I finish my steaks with compound butter, but holding seems like it would make for on uber "greasy" steak.

It's actually surprisingly not greasy. Because the fat and butter solids are in an emulsified state, it doesn't coat the protein like say, what you would get when you pull something out of a confit or marinade.

Hmm...might teach this ol dog a new trick then.

I did some butter poached lobster, with a little vanilla, and pinch of cayenne. Did it for a salad with a green apple slaw. people seemed to like it.

Hmm...might teach this ol dog a new trick then.

I did some butter poached lobster, with a little vanilla, and pinch of cayenne. Did it for a salad with a green apple slaw. people seemed to like it.

That sounds **** good.

I did a dish similar to that. Butter poached lobster on a green apple and celery root salad with madras curry, and a lobster-saffron foam.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom