"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Terms & Techniques

Old 01-25-2013, 07:18 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Bread Pudding density

I recently had a really good bread pudding and have tried to duplicate it and haven't suceeded. It was dense, but not dry. Any ideas or recipes you use that would give me those results ? Thanks

Old 01-25-2013, 11:27 PM   #2
Head Chef

This is delicious and moist. I use butter instead of the listed margarine:
Gramma's Apple Bread Pudding Recipe - Allrecipes.com

Some recipes specify to bake the pudding in a waterbath, which ensures even baking and retains moisture (the recipe above does not need a waterbath).

Here's a recipe from my to-try list (this one uses a waterbath):
Bread Pudding with Warm Bourbon Sauce Recipe at Epicurious.com

Old 01-26-2013, 05:24 PM   #3
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by merstar View Post

Here's a recipe from my to-try list (this one uses a waterbath):
Bread Pudding with Warm Bourbon Sauce Recipe at Epicurious.com
In the U.K. we call that a bread and butter pudding, The difference from what we call a bread pudding is the bread and butter one uses buttered slices of bread with a sauce poured over. We call the solid, cake like pudding a "bread pudding". Same language but so different really. The American cilantro we call coriander, egg plant is aubergine, etc. etc.

Here's the recipe for the bread pudding my Mother used to make. It is dense and moist and I loved it. Haven't made one for years though.

12 oz. stale white bread, soaked in water for about an hour then squeezed in a clean cloth (butter muslin?) to get all the moisture out. It is then mixed with a 6 oz.mixture of currants and raisins, 4 oz.sugar, a little grated nutmeg and/or lemon zest, 3 oz melted butter, 2 beaten eggs and approx just under pint milk, put in a greased pie dish and cooked at 180C.for 1 hours.

Tags
bread, pudding