"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Terms & Techniques

Old 05-28-2009, 01:26 PM   #1
Cook

Breading Fish or Chicken

...for either baking or frying (I tend to default to baking).
I've noticed most recipes use either buttermilk or eggs as a bonding agent. What are the advantages/disadvantages for each.
I've also seen (for both) to coat the meat with flour before dipping into the liquid. Is this better than just the liquid (ie, eggs or buttermilk)?

Old 05-28-2009, 01:30 PM   #2
Head Chef

The flour helps the liquid (eggs or buttermilk) to stick, without it, the other parts of the breading just slides off. Although there may be exceptions, that's been my experience.

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 01:40 PM   #3
Senior Cook

I think it depends upon what you are trying to do. Wet fish or chicken will hold flour or cornmeal nicely. If I want a batter, I do this. I dip into an egg wash of egg and water and then into the flour and into the batter last. The wash hold the flour and the flour grabs the batter. If you batter fry do drop it into hot oil. If the oil is not hot enough the batter tends to float off the food.
Old 05-28-2009, 01:46 PM   #4
Cook

That makes sense - I tried breading chicken without flour and it slid off. I'm trying the flour next and see how that does.
Old 05-28-2009, 03:19 PM   #5
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
There is always more than one way to skin the proverbial cat.

Traditionally, and for frying, you dip the meat/fish in seasoned flour, then into an egg wash, then into the crumbs (or cereal).

I rarely do that. I'm more likely, with fish, especially, to dry it off thoroughly (to avoid spatters as it goes into the hot fat). Then I spread a thin layer of mustard on the flesh side. This helps the crumbs adhere to the flesh. then I dip into the seasoned crumbs or pat the crumbs on top. With chicken, I generally crumb both sides the same way, if I want that kind of texture. I RARELY do chicken like that. For one thing, I almost never cook boneless skinless breasts any more. I much prefer the flavor of chicken cooked on the bone.

You can also use water, stock or wine as a moistening agent to hold the crumbs onto your meat. This eliminates a lot of the "fattening" stuff but you still get the crunchy contrast. Panko breadcrumbs used to be only available to professionals, but I see them now in most supermarkets. Look for them. They stay crunchy under almost any circumstance.
Old 05-28-2009, 03:23 PM   #6
Head Chef

speaking of breading, and fatty stuff, I once had (part of) a chicken fried cheeseburger. yep, you read it right... the hamburger patty and cheese were (heavily) breaded and fried. to die for, so to speak!

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 03:35 PM   #7
Master Chef

flour, egg wash, crumbs.....
drilled into me!
Old 05-29-2009, 06:59 AM   #8
Cook

Thanks, everyone. Linicx, what's your recipe for batter and is it primarily for oil frying (I do little of frying)?
ChefJune, I'll try the panko and I like the idea of wine as a moistening agent.
Old 05-29-2009, 08:39 AM   #9
Executive Chef

best results are pat dry item, dust lightly with flour, dip and coat in egg wash, dip and coat in crumbs. I have found cracker meal an excellent coating for fish and chicken tenders etc. Makes a great crispy exterior. Panko bread crumbs are lighter and also really excellent, as are crushed corn flakes.
Old 05-29-2009, 05:18 PM   #10
Master Chef

If you are worried about fat content, pat dry the meat, be it chicken, beef, pork, or fish with a paper towel to remove excess moisture. Dredge in seasoned flour, and then dip in egg-wash, letting the moisture soak in for a moment, and finally, dredge in the bread crumbs. Place the breaded food onto a wire cooling rack for ten minutes or so to allow the breading to "dry" onto the meat. Place on a parchment lined cookie sheet, and pop into a 400 degree oven. Bake for 40 minutes, or until an instant read thermometer reads 145 for pork, or 160 for poultry. Serve hot with sides.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote