"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Terms & Techniques

Old 01-12-2006, 11:50 PM   #11
Master Chef

What does broasting mean? Who "coined" the phrase broasted?

MissVickie seems to have the simplest basic answer.

Yep - you want to taste broasted chicken - you might want to visit your local KFC.

Old 01-12-2006, 11:57 PM   #12
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW
What does broasting mean? Who "coined" the phrase broasted?

MissVickie seems to have the simplest basic answer.
Is Miss Vickie still tiptoeing through the tulips with Tiny Tim?

Old 01-13-2006, 05:33 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

mish, we have a place here we go to often just for the broasted chicken..It is delicious.. I don't know about other places, but this one is great, the chicken has a wonderful thick crisp coating, the meat is juicy and tender and very hot when served. It does not leave a greasy mess on your fingers or plate or in your mouth..It is really good. Fried chicken at it's best

kadesma
Old 01-13-2006, 08:34 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
There's a scary thought!

I don't know where Ms. Vickie is, but I found some of Lulu's BRRROASTED Chicken.

Old 01-13-2006, 09:24 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesma
mish, we have a place here we go to often just for the broasted chicken..It is delicious.. I don't know about other places, but this one is great, the chicken has a wonderful thick crisp coating, the meat is juicy and tender and very hot when served. It does not leave a greasy mess on your fingers or plate or in your mouth..It is really good. Fried chicken at it's best

kadesma
I think I read, only about a 1/4 cup of oil is used. Mmmm. I will have to call around and look for BRRROASTED chicken too . You reminded me of the line:

"Best **** chicken in the state."

The Blues Bros.

Guess I should have said darned.
Old 01-14-2006, 12:41 PM   #16
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
Tiny Tim died some years ago, Andy.
Old 01-14-2006, 01:54 PM   #17
Certified Pretend Chef

Yeah, I know. I was just picking up on Michael's Miss Vickie reference and trying to be funny.
Old 01-14-2006, 05:22 PM   #18
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance
Tiny Tim died some years ago, Andy.
THAT explains why I haven't seen him on Johnny Carson lately!

I knew Andy was just trying to yank my chain ....

The "Miss Vickie's Recipes" site I posted a link to is devoted to pressure cooking .... and had a really good explanation of "broasting". Hey, why try to plagiarize or reinvent the wheel when you can "link" to it?
Old 01-14-2006, 10:10 PM   #19
Master Chef

You guys are too much.
Old 01-15-2006, 11:10 PM   #20
Master Chef

Kentuky Fried Chicken, Chester Fried Chicken, Broasted Chicken are all bascially the same thing. Whether or not they are greasy depends on who cooks them, how hot the oil is, and the breading/batter used.

KFC original recipe is very good chicken, when cooked by someone who takes pride in their work. I've had it very light, with a crisp outer crust. The seasonings are IMHO far better than any other chicken chain's. In my home town, we have one KFC resaurant that doesn't do a very good job. The chicken is always greasy, and usually a bit soggy.

One of our local supermarkets carrys Chester Fried chicken, cooked with a pressure fryer, that has amazing texture, and is tender and juicy. I absolutely adore the stuff. I just wish they could mimick KFC's seasonings. And the Broasted chicken I've had was about identicle with Chester Fried Chicken.

A method I use at home that creates a similarly great chicken is to lightly fry my chicken pieces in 160' F. oil until the coating just begins to brown. Then place the chicken on a cookie sheet and place in a pre-heated 375' oven and bake for 40 minutes. Again, the texture is amazing, with juicy and tender chiken meat. The advantage of this technique is that it can be used with the now-famous buttermilk marinade, with breaded chicken, with panko-breaded chicken, or with chiken that has just been dipped in egg-wash and dredged in flour. You can even brine or marinate the chicken before cooking.

You can season the chicken any way you like. And it's nearly foolproof. The chicken cooked by this method will actually squirt you with juices (not grease) when you bite into it, so have napkins ready.

I learned this technique from my wife, when we were first married. She learned it from her mother. It has been producing great chicken in my home for about 30 years now. And it has consistantly produced better chicken for me than deep frying, or pan frying chicken. The only other method that works as well for me is grilling over a solid bed of charcoal on my Webber grill, covered of course.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote