Broasted?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mish

Washing Up
I heard the term Broasted years ago (re chicken), and thought it meant, broiled or boiled and then roasted, i.e. a cooking method. I took a quick look on the web & noticed it may be referring to a cooking device(?) called a broaster. Also noticed broasted potatoes. Has anyone had broasted chicken, how does it taste, can we prepare it at home?

A side note: Years ago my aunt worked for a company called Restaurant Associates. She told us a woman called in and kept asking, "Where can I find BRRRRROASTED chicken. I want BRRROASTED chicken!" We giggled about it for years and kept repeating BRRROASTED. (Yes, my family is a little odd :LOL: )

Last edited by a moderator:
"Broasted" food is big in the midwest. A broaster is a patented machine that pressure fries the food. Like KFC.

You cannot pressure fry at home unless your pressure cooker specifically states that you can. Otherwise it's very dangerous.

Sometimes you'll see recipes for "broasted" food that essentially oven fries it. But authentic broasting is different.

jennyema said:
"Broasted" food is big in the midwest. A broaster is a patented machine that pressure fries the food. Like KFC.

You cannot pressure fry at home unless your pressure cooker specifically states that you can. Otherwise it's very dangerous.

Sometimes you'll see recipes for "broasted" food that essentially oven fries it. But authentic broasting is different.

Thanks, jenny. A quick look on the web, mentioned what you said. Sure wish I could try it at home & knew what it tasted like -- Fried, broiled, roasted? ... curious.

The word should mean broiled and roasted at the same time, and a real convection oven nearly does that, but no it means preasure fry...and industrial method not convenient for the home cook or kitchen.

Mish,

I can't rememember the last time I actually ate broasted chicken (probably in the 1960's) , but was at a restaurant in the Chicago area recently that touted their Broasted Chicken all-you-can-eat buffet, so i know it's still out there. Midwesterners broast fish, too and possibly other foods.

Broasted chicken is really really good fried chicken. I think most commercial fried chicken places probably pressure fry it now.

What does broasting mean? Who "coined" the phrase broasted?

MissVickie seems to have the simplest basic answer.

Yep - you want to taste broasted chicken - you might want to visit your local KFC.

Last edited:
Michael in FtW said:
What does broasting mean? Who "coined" the phrase broasted?

MissVickie seems to have the simplest basic answer.

Is Miss Vickie still tiptoeing through the tulips with Tiny Tim?

mish, we have a place here we go to often just for the broasted chicken..It is delicious.. I don't know about other places, but this one is great, the chicken has a wonderful thick crisp coating, the meat is juicy and tender and very hot when served. It does not leave a greasy mess on your fingers or plate or in your mouth..It is really good. Fried chicken at it's best:LOL:

kadesma:)

Andy M. said:
Is Miss Vickie still tiptoeing through the tulips with Tiny Tim?

:LOL: There's a scary thought! :LOL:

I don't know where Ms. Vickie is, but I found some of Lulu's BRRROASTED Chicken.

kadesma said:
mish, we have a place here we go to often just for the broasted chicken..It is delicious.. I don't know about other places, but this one is great, the chicken has a wonderful thick crisp coating, the meat is juicy and tender and very hot when served. It does not leave a greasy mess on your fingers or plate or in your mouth..It is really good. Fried chicken at it's best:LOL:

kadesma:)

I think I read, only about a 1/4 cup of oil is used. Mmmm. I will have to call around and look for BRRROASTED chicken too :LOL: . You reminded me of the line:

"Best **** chicken in the state."

The Blues Bros. :LOL: :LOL:

Guess I should have said darned.

Yeah, I know. I was just picking up on Michael's Miss Vickie reference and trying to be funny.

Constance said:
Tiny Tim died some years ago, Andy.

THAT explains why I haven't seen him on Johnny Carson lately! :rolleyes:

I knew Andy was just trying to yank my chain ....

The "Miss Vickie's Recipes" site I posted a link to is devoted to pressure cooking .... and had a really good explanation of "broasting". Hey, why try to plagiarize or reinvent the wheel when you can "link" to it?

Kentuky Fried Chicken, Chester Fried Chicken, Broasted Chicken are all bascially the same thing. Whether or not they are greasy depends on who cooks them, how hot the oil is, and the breading/batter used.

KFC original recipe is very good chicken, when cooked by someone who takes pride in their work. I've had it very light, with a crisp outer crust. The seasonings are IMHO far better than any other chicken chain's. In my home town, we have one KFC resaurant that doesn't do a very good job. The chicken is always greasy, and usually a bit soggy.

One of our local supermarkets carrys Chester Fried chicken, cooked with a pressure fryer, that has amazing texture, and is tender and juicy. I absolutely adore the stuff. I just wish they could mimick KFC's seasonings. And the Broasted chicken I've had was about identicle with Chester Fried Chicken.

A method I use at home that creates a similarly great chicken is to lightly fry my chicken pieces in 160' F. oil until the coating just begins to brown. Then place the chicken on a cookie sheet and place in a pre-heated 375' oven and bake for 40 minutes. Again, the texture is amazing, with juicy and tender chiken meat. The advantage of this technique is that it can be used with the now-famous buttermilk marinade, with breaded chicken, with panko-breaded chicken, or with chiken that has just been dipped in egg-wash and dredged in flour. You can even brine or marinate the chicken before cooking.

You can season the chicken any way you like. And it's nearly foolproof. The chicken cooked by this method will actually squirt you with juices (not grease) when you bite into it, so have napkins ready.

I learned this technique from my wife, when we were first married. She learned it from her mother. It has been producing great chicken in my home for about 30 years now. And it has consistantly produced better chicken for me than deep frying, or pan frying chicken. The only other method that works as well for me is grilling over a solid bed of charcoal on my Webber grill, covered of course.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Back
Top Bottom