Browning chicken question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

giggler

Sous Chef
I like to "brown" meats often before "braiseing".

I have no problem with beef or pork.

But every time I try to brown Chicken (skin on), it sticks to the pan.

What am I doing wrong? :wacko:

Thanks, Eric, Austin Tx.

p.s. Ha Ha, just learned how to use the smiley face thing!

Hi Giggler,
I just put a little ex. virgin oil in a non stick pan, put in the chicken & cook on both sides, turning frequently, that should do the trick.
p.s. How did you put the smiley on? ;0)

When I want to brown chicken
I heat up my stainless or anodized pan,
add a little Peanut Oil (it has a high smokng point)
and put in the chicken - skin side down.
Over medium heat - leave the chicken untouched
for 2 min or so and then turn it over and repeat on other side.

I think moving the meat too soon causes the sticking.

When I want to brown chicken
I heat up my stainless or anodized pan,
add a little Peanut Oil (it has a high smokng point)
and put in the chicken - skin side down.
Over medium heat - leave the chicken untouched
for 2 min or so and then turn it over and repeat on other side.

I think moving the meat too soon causes the sticking.

+1 -- Don't move the meat until it releases from the pan...Also I use Cast Iron...a personal choice.

You can brown in any kind of pan. It's the heat that does the browning. Start with a hot pan and hot fat. Add the meat and leave it alone. Don't move it around or try to unstick it. As it browns, it will gradually release from the pan and can be turned. repeat on the second side.

This is true of all proteins, beef, chicken, fish. etc.

Eric, as all the other posters have commented:

1. Your pan must be preheated. Be careful! Don't leave an empty pan on a hot burner for a single second or try to do anything else while it's heating up. Stay right there watching it!

2. Once the chicken goes in the pan don't touch it until it releases by itself. You can test this by shaking the pan lightly. When it releases, turn it and repeat on the other side.

This should solve your problem.

Eric, as all the other posters have commented:

1. Your pan must be preheated. Be careful! Don't leave an empty pan on a hot burner for a single second or try to do anything else while it's heating up. Stay right there watching it!

2. Once the chicken goes in the pan don't touch it until it releases by itself. You can test this by shaking the pan lightly. When it releases, turn it and repeat on the other side.

This should solve your problem.
Just to add to this, make sure you have enough fat in the pan. That is also something you need to ensure it does not stick.

Hot pan.. add oil, let the oil get hot. add the meat.. DO NOT touch the meat to turn until you know it is well browned. It should release itself from the pan.

Additionally, make sure the chicken is DRY before adding to the pan. Not only will wet chicken spatter the fat all over you and the kitchen, but also it affects the reaction of the meat to the hot pan.

Back
Top Bottom