"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Terms & Techniques

Old 04-18-2010, 10:14 AM   #11
Senior Cook

I'm kinda like the monkey at the zoo, always play'n w/my meat. But most of the time it does just take one flip.

I also did a "test" between sear'n first or last. I need to do it again w/my grill instead of a CI pan on a hot plate.

No real moisture difference, or taste differences. Although, oddly enough, the test subjects(wife and kids) liked the seared last burger, cept the wife, she didn't know for sure(iirc) and I think she might have chosen the sear first one. doesn't matter, wasn't a big deal to them. But they are not "foodies" like some people I know.

That was good reading. thanks for the article.

Old 04-18-2010, 11:05 AM   #12
Executive Chef

One flip, frozen patty or not. I just make certain the cooking surface (preferably CI) is hot enough.

Old 04-18-2010, 01:07 PM   #13
Master Chef

Site Administrator

I am somewhere in between. Usually not just one flip, but I don't like doing too many. Now the whole mashing thing is verboten.

I do start with a high heat and then lower the coals once I flip and sear the second side.
Old 04-18-2010, 05:04 PM   #14
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to Russellkhan
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Hmm that is very interesting. I will admit to being a flip once guy. My guess to the reason that so many people claim this is the best way (even if they do not realize it) is because there is a missing factor the author did not mention. Many people who flip multiple times don't just flip. They flip and mash. If you add the spatula mashing to the multiple flipping then the data would change drastically I bet.
Actually mashing was mentioned briefly, though not part of the experiment; The author said somewhere toward the end the he actually prefers thin, pressed burgers, which I took to mean spatula-mashed.

Quote:
Thanks for posting this article. It was a really interesting read. It is good to know there is more than one way to cook a great burger.
Thank you - and everyone who contributed here - for your input. I don't actually make burgers very often and this thread as well as the article give me a lot to think about and try out for the next time I do.
Old 04-18-2010, 08:35 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

i only flip once, habit i think.
Old 04-18-2010, 10:44 PM   #16
Mr. Greenjeans

If I make a rare burger (my preference) then I flip once. If I am making a medium medium well burger I still flip once but then I finish it in the indirect heat method. Pressing the burger is a no no.

I can imagine that at one time smashing the burger get rid of some of the excessive fat that was in the cheap meat supplied to diners at the onset of the hamburger steak. Only my imaginings, no factual findings.
Old 04-19-2010, 08:16 AM   #17
Certified Pretend Chef

I hate pressing burgers but in the interests of domestic tranquility, I have been doing it for SO's burgers. She keeps telling me not to worry, I can't overcook them. I think it has to do with the texture of less cooked ground meat. SO takes her steaks medium rare.
Old 04-19-2010, 04:04 PM   #18
Master Chef

I flip 3 times to get cross burn marks (not sure what they are called proparly, sorry)
Old 04-19-2010, 04:10 PM   #19
Master Chef

Andy,what does SO stands for?
Old 04-19-2010, 04:28 PM   #20
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
Andy,what does SO stands for?
Charlie, SO stands for Significant Other. Same as "Wife" but no paperwork.