Burger flipping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hmm that is very interesting. I will admit to being a flip once guy. My guess to the reason that so many people claim this is the best way (even if they do not realize it) is because there is a missing factor the author did not mention. Many people who flip multiple times don't just flip. They flip and mash. If you add the spatula mashing to the multiple flipping then the data would change drastically I bet.

I do my burgers the exact opposite of the way the author says to do it. I start mine on a super hot grill and then when I flip I turn off the heat directly under the burger and cook the second side with indirect heat. My grill grates are cast iron so when I flip the burger there is enough heat to still brown the second side. One thing I would be nervous about when multiple flips with my burgers is that there would be more chances for the burger to fall apart. I take a lot of care to assemble my burgers gently with as little compression as possible so the end result is as tender as can be. I would fear my burgers would not always hold up to multiple flippings.

Thanks for posting this article. It was a really interesting read. It is good to know there is more than one way to cook a great burger.

I'm a flip once-er too. Except for SO's burger, I flip once and press because that's the way she wants it. She's grossed out by the juices that ooze out of my unpressed burger. I just smile and grab extra napkins.

GB I agree with your statement about to much flipping can cause the burger to fall apart.. If you noticed in the pictures, the one on the left (the constant flipper) was a bit broken up, while the one on the right (once flipped) was more uniform..

I am a one time flipper, no mashing involved, and am proud of it!!! :angel::angel:

Well i've eaten them but never made them.. I love a good burger,and if i'm going to make them, I buy 80-20 and make them the same day... ;)

I'm kinda like the monkey at the zoo, always play'n w/my meat.:ohmy: But most of the time it does just take one flip.

I also did a "test" between sear'n first or last. I need to do it again w/my grill instead of a CI pan on a hot plate.

No real moisture difference, or taste differences. Although, oddly enough, the test subjects(wife and kids) liked the seared last burger, cept the wife, she didn't know for sure(iirc) and I think she might have chosen the sear first one. doesn't matter, wasn't a big deal to them. But they are not "foodies" like some people I know.:ermm::mrgreen:

That was good reading. thanks for the article.

One flip, frozen patty or not. I just make certain the cooking surface (preferably CI) is hot enough.

I am somewhere in between. Usually not just one flip, but I don't like doing too many. Now the whole mashing thing is verboten.

I do start with a high heat and then lower the coals once I flip and sear the second side.

Hmm that is very interesting. I will admit to being a flip once guy. My guess to the reason that so many people claim this is the best way (even if they do not realize it) is because there is a missing factor the author did not mention. Many people who flip multiple times don't just flip. They flip and mash. If you add the spatula mashing to the multiple flipping then the data would change drastically I bet.

Actually mashing was mentioned briefly, though not part of the experiment; The author said somewhere toward the end the he actually prefers thin, pressed burgers, which I took to mean spatula-mashed.

Thanks for posting this article. It was a really interesting read. It is good to know there is more than one way to cook a great burger.
Thank you - and everyone who contributed here - for your input. I don't actually make burgers very often and this thread as well as the article give me a lot to think about and try out for the next time I do.

If I make a rare burger (my preference) then I flip once. If I am making a medium medium well burger I still flip once but then I finish it in the indirect heat method. Pressing the burger is a no no.

I can imagine that at one time smashing the burger get rid of some of the excessive fat that was in the cheap meat supplied to diners at the onset of the hamburger steak. Only my imaginings, no factual findings.

I hate pressing burgers but in the interests of domestic tranquility, I have been doing it for SO's burgers. She keeps telling me not to worry, I can't overcook them. I think it has to do with the texture of less cooked ground meat. SO takes her steaks medium rare.

Back
Top Bottom