"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Terms & Techniques

Old 08-17-2007, 11:34 PM   #11
Master Chef

In the winter I cook hamburgers on a cast iron griddle. I season the hamburgers before making the patties with seasoning salt and dehydrated onion flakes. A piece of foil goes over the hamburgers to speed up the cooking process and keep the splatters on the stove to a minimum.

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 11:48 PM   #12
Head Chef

There is a street joiont in Praire du Chine Wis. that has them lined up for a block most fri nights and all day Sat and Sun.. they water fry there burgers with onions. they have a standerd grill with the drain welded shut they ball theres and press down with a steel spat and add a 1/2 gal of water a ton of onions to the mix and you order by calling mit or mit out (with onions with out onions) they have been there for years in a corragated shack and tar paper roof and can't carry the money to the bank fast enough and spend all winter in Florida. outstanding street food (no sodas no extras just very good burgers)

Old 08-20-2007, 11:23 AM   #13
Assistant Cook

Here is what I did over the weekend:

1 pound of 80/20 chuck
1 pound of pork
egg

I mixed all the meat together and added an egg. I found that adding the egg actually made it harder for the meat to stick together. I am probably going to omit that next time.

I formed half inch patties like suggest in previous posts and turned the burner on medium-low. Let the pan heat up and placed the patties in the pan. I cooked for 5 minutes on one side, flipped it and then 5 minutes on the other. Threw a piece of cheese on the burgers and let it melt.

The meat was nice and moist but the top and bottom were dark (but not burned). I would like to have the tops and bottoms not as dark but all in all I was happy with what came out.
Old 08-20-2007, 11:37 AM   #14
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to keltin
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottv View Post
Here is what I did over the weekend:

1 pound of 80/20 chuck
1 pound of pork
egg

I mixed all the meat together and added an egg. I found that adding the egg actually made it harder for the meat to stick together. I am probably going to omit that next time.

I formed half inch patties like suggest in previous posts and turned the burner on medium-low. Let the pan heat up and placed the patties in the pan. I cooked for 5 minutes on one side, flipped it and then 5 minutes on the other. Threw a piece of cheese on the burgers and let it melt.

The meat was nice and moist but the top and bottom were dark (but not burned). I would like to have the tops and bottoms not as dark but all in all I was happy with what came out.
Congrats on a job well done! Iím glad it turned out for you!
Old 08-23-2007, 12:09 PM   #15
Cook

First off, I always grill my burgers on high-heat when using my outdoor grill - creates the perfect searing on each side without burning.... I use pre-made patties from our butcher (link removed by admin) and season each side right before grilling with just salt and pepper....

For indoors - well, there is no such a thing in my book- i you live in NY you should get one of those portable gas weber grillls. :)

I flip only once after I see juices forming on the top-side... they turn out perfect, and I get folks all the time complementing on how they're the best burgers they've ever had...
Old 08-23-2007, 12:26 PM   #16
Senior Cook

I prefer my burgers cooked on my cast iron pan & I pre-season them with salt, pepper and a little worstcheshire sauce. Will try the ice cubes, great idea
Old 08-25-2007, 01:27 AM   #17
Cook

I never use eggs. I use bread crumbs, put some spices then use some milk, just enough to make the crumbs soggy. Then I squeeze it over and over, adding in milk until it's a slurry and all milk is absorbed. Then I dice up onions, ground meat, s&p, hot sauce, cayenne pepper flakes and a little basil and oregano. Mix it up until it's a lump. Make patties and there you go. The milk's taste is gone and the bread provides "support" whereas eggs "clump" and can make a mess. The bread with milk moves evenly, where eggs can clump around. Also, you have to then deal with washing off raw egg from the bowl you used, where with the bread and milk, it's all used up. Just rinse and no clumps, but still use soap. The patties are solid enough to be tossed in the air onto a grill, yet are soft enough to fall apart in your mouth.
Old 08-25-2007, 10:12 AM   #18
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
I'd forget the cast iron skillet and use the broiler in my oven.