Buying a little steamer/poacher

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MostlyWater

Sous Chef
I have a big All Clad one that I love but it takes up a lot of room in the dishwasher and I don't always need such a big pot anyway; I see now that very sweet 3.5 qt steamers are sold - Caphalon (part of a set) and All Clad, but the steamer part doesn't go far into the pot; I guess it's more for steaming veggies than boiling noodles, huh?

I would hate to spend $125 for a pot, bring it home, and not have it live up to my expectations.

Anyone ?

I have a big All Clad one that I love but it takes up a lot of room in the dishwasher and I don't always need such a big pot anyway; I see now that very sweet 3.5 qt steamers are sold - Caphalon (part of a set) and All Clad, but the steamer part doesn't go far into the pot; I guess it's more for steaming veggies than boiling noodles, huh?

I would hate to spend $125 for a pot, bring it home, and not have it live up to my expectations.

Anyone ?

I have a little folding steamer basket that I use for small stuff, it fits right into any size pot and just lifts out. I also have a 3 layer electric steamer that I can do larger portions in and do veggies and seafood all in the same pot. I think it's made by Rival or somebody - not really sure. But it's good too, don't have to use the stove.

I remember my sister bought one of those stand up steamers years ago - but there's a difference in the kind of equipment you'd use to steam, and the kind you'd boil noodles in, right ?

I have a feeling that those small folding steamers would definitely lose the noodles; have you ever tried that ?

I have a small one, 2 or 2 1/2 Qt I think? It came with a steamer basket and a pasta basket. The steamer basket sits up high and has side handles and the pasta basket has top handles that fold in. To be honest I don't use the pasta basket at all and I when I steam veggies I only really add about and inch or two of water. My Mom has the BIG size and she used the pasta basket and loves it.

A steamer basket and a pasta pentola are two different things.

To poach, you need to immerse the food and don't need an insert.

Back
Top Bottom