"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Terms & Techniques

Old 10-20-2012, 05:55 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Can I use cider vinegar in cast iron?

If I am making a recipe that calls for cider vinegar to make a sauce in a pan after browning the meat, can I use a cast iron pan for that? Or will that damage its finish?

Old 10-20-2012, 06:07 PM   #2
Master Chef

That coating, or patina that develops in your cast iron pans is chemically resistant to both acids and alkali substances. Vinegar is an acidic liquid and will attack unprotected metals, suck as iron, steel, aluminum and copper. Properly seasoning your pans will protect them from the vinegar, and help keep foods from sticking to them as well.

If your pans are seasoned, simply brush a bit of fat into them before adding the other ingredients, and you should be fine.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 12:32 PM   #3
Senior Cook

Just bringing this back as a follow up but I'm wondering if making this recipe, which calls for 2 tablespoons cider vinegar, in a cast iron skillet would cause either any problems for the cast iron itself or for the food to take on a metallic taste.

Cipollini and Apples with Bacon Recipe | MyRecipes.com
Old 03-07-2014, 01:06 PM   #4
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankin View Post
Just bringing this back as a follow up but I'm wondering if making this recipe, which calls for 2 tablespoons cider vinegar, in a cast iron skillet would cause either any problems for the cast iron itself or for the food to take on a metallic taste.

Cipollini and Apples with Bacon Recipe | MyRecipes.com
no problems will be experienced if your pan is seasoned properly.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 01:07 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Simple answer: No Before I got my Calphalon cookware, I cooked tomato sauces and other acidic recipes in my cast-iron skillet for years and never had a problem. If any iron got into the food, I considered it a good thing. It's an essential nutrient, after all
Old 03-07-2014, 01:23 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Simple answer: No Before I got my Calphalon cookware, I cooked tomato sauces and other acidic recipes in my cast-iron skillet for years and never had a problem. If any iron got into the food, I considered it a good thing. It's an essential nutrient, after all
A friend of mine told me that her doctor recommended the use of cast iron to increase iron intake.

Tags
vinegar